Communication Studies Major Through Eastern Iowa Community College
The Department of Communication Studies has a long-standing reputation as one of the top-ranked departments of its kind in the nation. The undergraduate program provides solid preparation for employment in media industries, consulting, human resources, public relations, and other jobs and careers requiring effective communication skills.
Studying Communication Studies at Iowa
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Eastern Iowa Community College checkpoints
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete SPC 140 Introduction to Mass Media
- Complete one of the following courses:
- SPC 122 Interpersonal Communication
- SPC 170 Business and Professional Speaking
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.50 from all colleges attended.
- Be admitted to the program or major selected when you transfer to Iowa.
University of Iowa checkpoints
- Complete 36:001 Core Concepts in Communication during your first enrollment at Iowa with a grade of C- or higher to remain in the major. It's a prerequisite for most communication studies courses.
- Complete the UI courses required for this major and maintain at least a 2.50 grade-point average to enroll in most communication studies courses, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 36 semester hours is required for the communication studies major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (ISIS).