English Major Through Eastern Iowa Community College
Because of the university's outstanding reputation for cultivating writers, more than 800 students major in English at Iowa. It is one of the most popular majors for first-year students. Yet most classes are small enough to encourage spirited discussion and offer abundant writing opportunities. About one-fourth of English graduates plan to teach, while another one-quarter plan to be writers of some kind. The rest use English as a background for the study of law, business, theology, or other professions.
Studying English at Iowa
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Eastern Iowa CCD checkpoints
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete ENG 221 Creative Writing.
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 from all colleges attended.
University of Iowa checkpoints
- Complete 008:005 Introduction to English Major: Theory and Practice during your first year of enrollment at Iowa.
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 33 semester hours is required for the English major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (ISIS).