Geoscience Major Through Eastern Iowa Community College
Geoscience at Iowa is a nationally ranked program recognized for state-of-the-art equipment, an enthusiastic faculty, and abundant opportunities for undergraduate research projects. Career opportunities are readily available for geoscience graduates. Professional geologists work in resource companies, environmental corporations, educational institutions, conservation agencies, urban planning, state and federal geological surveys, and government resource and research organizations.
Studying Geoscience at Iowa
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Eastern Iowa Community College checkpoints
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- In consultation with an advisor or counselor, select one chemistry sequence:
- CHM 122 Introduction to General Chemistry
- CHM 132 Introduction to Organic & Biochemistry
-- OR --
- CHM 165 General Chemistry I
- CHM 175 General Chemistry II
- In consultation with an advisor, select 10 semester hours of college-level mathematics as suggested by math placement, including computer science and statistics, from the following:
- MAT 128 or MAT 129 Precalculus
- MAT 140 Finite Mathematics
- MAT 147 Quantitative Methods I
- MAT 156 Statistics
- MAT 165 Business Calculus
- MAT 210 Calculus I
- MAT 216 Calculus II
- MAT 219 Calculus III
- MAT 227 Differential Equations with Laplace
- Complete PHS 172 Physical Geology.
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 from all colleges attended.
University of Iowa checkpoints
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 35 semester hours is required for the geoscience major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (ISIS).