Social Work Major Through Eastern Iowa Community College
The School of Social Work at Iowa has a tradition of innovation in social work education, activism, research, and public service. In particular, students' exposure to faculty expertise in a Research I university is one of the important characteristics that distinguishes Iowa’s social work program from other public and private programs in the state. Note: Admission to the major is selective.
Studying Social Work at Iowa
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Eastern Iowa Community College checkpoints
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete the following courses:
- BIO 157 Human Biology
- SOC 160 Introduction to Social Work with a grade of C or higher
- Complete one additional course from the following:
- ANT 105 Cultural Anthropology
- MAT 156 Statistics (may require a prerequisite course as suggested by math placement)
- ECN 120 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECN 130 Principles of Microeconomics
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- Apply to the School of Social Work by the Feb 27 deadline and be accepted to the program. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 is required at the time of application. Note: This is the minimum GPA to apply and does not guarantee acceptance to the major.
- It is strongly recommended that students have volunteer, internship, or work experience in areas related to social work before applying to the program.
The following required courses can be taken at Eastern Iowa Community College OR The University of Iowa:
- POL 111 American National Government; 030:001 Introduction to American Politics at Iowa
- SOC 110 Introduction to Sociology; 034:001 Introduction to Sociology: Principles at Iowa
- PSY 111 Introduction to Psychology; 031:001 Elementary Psychology at Iowa
University of Iowa checkpoints
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 33–38 semester hours is required for the social work major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (ISIS).