Political Science Major Through Northwest Iowa Community College
The political science department at Iowa is considered one of the top 30 programs of its kind in the country. The program is regarded, in part, for strong honors and research emphases, featuring undergraduate research tutorials and senior research seminars. If you’re considering a career in a position of public responsibility, you should acquire knowledge of the function of political systems. This includes positions in business, teaching, civil or foreign service, the military, or law enforcement.
Studying Political Science at Iowa
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Northwest Iowa Community College checkpoints
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete the following courses:
- POL 111 American National Government
- POL 121 International Relations
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 from all colleges attended.
University of Iowa checkpoints
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 33 semester hours is required for the political science major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (ISIS).