Philosophy Major Through Southwestern Community College
The philosophy program at Iowa is highly personalized, with small classes and very accessible faculty members, several of whom have recently published books and won teaching awards. A major in philosophy develops abilities useful for graduate or professional work in many fields and for any situation requiring clear, systematic thinking. Many students choose the philosophy major to prepare for law school.
Studying Philosophy at Iowa
Review the responsibilities required to become and remain eligible for the 2 Plus 2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.
Southwestern Community College checkpoints
- Complete the fourth level of a single world language as needed for Iowa's General Education Program.
- Complete PHI 101 Introduction to Philosophy.
- Complete all requirements for the AA degree.
- When transferring to Iowa, present a cumulative transfer grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 from all colleges attended.
University of Iowa checkpoints
- Complete the UI courses required for this major, as specified in the UI General Catalog.
- Complete at least half of the remaining semester hours needed for your major and degree during each of your two years at Iowa. (A total of 27 semester hours is required for the philosophy major and 120 semester hours for the BA degree.)
A current schedule of UI courses is available online via Iowa Student Information Services (ISIS).