Service is a fundamental mission for The University of Iowa, and nearly every community across the state has a direct connection to campus.
The University of Iowa generates valuable returns for the state’s economy.
• The IOWA Centers for Enterprise supports new and existing businesses, creating companies from innovations discovered right here at the UI.
• In fiscal year 2006, University of Iowa research yielded 89 new invention disclosures, 178 patent applications, 56 new patents, and $20 million in new licensing income.
• During 2006, the University’s Technology Innovation Center and Oakdale Research Park helped create or enhance 40 Iowa-based companies with a combined workforce of more than 1,500 dispersed over 65 communities in 21 counties. With an average salary of $58,000, these positions generated more than $5 million in state income tax revenue.
University of Iowa clinical services and public health programs provide expert care for people across Iowa and beyond.
• University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is one of the nation’s best hospitals and Iowa’s only comprehensive, tertiary-level health care center.
• Iowa’s outreach clinics extend top-notch specialty care across the state, offering regular service to nearly 50 communities and logging nearly 17,000 patient visits in fiscal year 2006.
• UI faculty, staff, and students provide critical public health expertise in each of Iowa’s 99 counties through programs like Worksafe Iowa, the Injury Prevention Center, the Great Plains Center for Agricultural Health, and the Upper Midwest Center for Public Health Preparedness.
The University of Iowa promotes all kinds of partnerships with communities across Iowa and beyond.
• The Division of Continuing Education offers a full slate of distance-learning options and campus programs for students of all ages.
• Service-learning programs augment classroom teaching, target community needs, and instill a service ethic among students.
• Programs like Arts Share and the UI Speaker’s Bureau deliver University resources, experience, and perspective across the state.
• The University has established centers in Des Moines and Chicago to promote ties with business, alumni, and future students.
UI resources for Iowans
The Iowa Promise strategic plan