The University of Iowa sustains its vibrant intellectual life and strong community spirit by encouraging collaboration and new ways of thinking, seeking new ways to support its work, and investing in campus infrastructure.
The University of Iowa promotes collaboration through more than 200 cross-disciplinary centers, institutes, and academic units.
• Interdisciplinary research and academic programs unite individuals from every corner of the campus to generate scientific, scholarly, and artistic innovations.
• Examples include Iowa’s biomedical engineering program, one of only 36 accredited programs in the nation; the Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Institute; the Center for the Book; and the Division of Interdisciplinary Programs in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
New ideas from The University of Iowa yield benefits that advance knowledge, solve problems, and enrich cultures.
• Historic Iowa discoveries led to blood banking, educational television, the Gallup Poll, the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, and understanding of the Van Allen Radiation Belts.
• The University is a source for ongoing innovation in areas like biomedical imaging, bioinformatics, computer-aided design, creative writing, genetics, hydroscience, space exploration, and the visual arts.
• UI faculty members filed more than 175 applications for patents on new inventions in fiscal year 2006 alone.
Thanks to its world-class faculty, students, and staff, The University of Iowa has earned a reputation for premier programs in health care, the humanities, and technology.
• Some of Iowa’s best-known programs include the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, the National Advanced Driving Simulator, and medical specialties at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
The University of Iowa garners strong support from alumni and friends.
• A recent campaign raised more than $1 billion in private gifts for facilities, faculty and student support, and other goals.
• The UI continues to seek new sources of private giving and public funding to keep our university thriving and growing for generations to come.
The University of Iowa boasts a vibrant campus in a classic college town.
Office of the Vice President for Research
• The UI campus includes 125 academic and research buildings—from the neoclassical Pentacrest edifices to modernist landmarks like the Art Building West. The beautiful, 1,900-acre campus lines the banks of the Iowa River.
• Initiatives like the Campus Master Plan and the Energy Conservation and Management Plan aim to enhance campus facilities while preserving the natural environment.
• The surrounding Iowa City/Coralville area is home to 90,000 people and a community that mixes a comfortable, small-town atmosphere with a rich artistic and cultural scene, Big 10 sports, historic neighborhoods, and a dynamic economy.
The University of Iowa Foundation
The Iowa Promise strategic plan