A medical emergency can be as small as an injury or sudden illness of a co-worker to a mass illness. For cases involving a mass campus illness refer to the Pandemic Flu Plan.
- Remain CALM.
- For any medical emergency, call 911 immediately.
- Provide the operator/dispatcher with the following:
- Who you are
- Where the incident is occurring (address, building name, floor, and or room number)
- What has happened (mechanism of injury or what lead up to the illness)
- Stay on the phone with the operator/dispatcher; some are trained to provide the caller with emergency first aid procedures.
- Have another person go outside to greet the emergency responders to lead them back to the person.
- Stay with the patient.
- Avoid moving an injured person (patient), unless the person is in immediate danger of further injury. The patient shall be moved as one unit with their spine/back in line.
- Use “Universal Precautions” and/or avoid any contact with blood / bodily fluids.
- Only persons properly trained in first aid and CPR should administer such aid, unless being directed by the 911 operator/dispatcher.