Primary navigation

For the Media

Visit Iowa City

For Political Organizers

Disseminating Information on the University of Iowa Campus

There are a number of ways to disseminate information to students:

Cambus posters

UI Cambus will accept posters advertising events. Posters to be displayed on buses must follow the same regulations pertaining to those on bulletin boards. Up to 10 copies may be submitted to the Kinnick Stadium Parking Lot Office (Cambus Office/100 Stadium Drive). Posters must be 11 inches tall in order to fit the poster holders on the buses. Maximum width is 17 inches. Ten copies may be submitted if 8.5 x 11 inches, five copies if 11 x 17 inches. All posters should be printed on card stock. For more information, call 319-335-8633.

Residence hall bulletin boards   

Approval will be granted for each candidate to post on the main bulletin boards of each residence hall once prior to each election. Recognized student organizations that sponsor political events may also advertise those events.

In addition to advertising events, candidates and campaigns may post non-event related posters (such as posters encouraging voters to support a particular candidate or to register to vote) one time before each primary or general election.

Fourteen posters will be needed to cover the main boards, and 160 posters are needed for display on all bulletin boards located on each floor of the residence halls. These must be stamped and distributed by the University Housing & Dining, Administrative Offices, 4141 Burge Hall, 319-335-3000. For main boards, posters must be no larger than 11 x 17 inches; for floor bulletin boards, posters must be no larger than 8 1/2 x 11 inches. Posters can remain on bulletin boards for up to two weeks. Posting is not permitted in any other area of residence halls. Posters are only permitted on designated boards.

Residence hall mailboxes   

Candidates for public office, all political organizations, and any organization sponsoring a political event cannot distribute mail through residence hall mailboxes without United States postage.

Physical distribution of campaign literature in residence halls

Candidates or their representatives may request to have a table set up one time per candidate prior to each election in each designated area for the purpose of distributing literature or talking to students (see locations below). Requests should be made at least seven (7) days prior to date of activity to the Assistant to the Senior Director of University Housing & Dining. For information, call 319-335-3000.

The maximum time limit for all distribution centers will be two and one half hours. Every effort will be made to grant permission in an equitable manner.

All distributions are subject to reasonable regulations of time and place. Persons working the tables must remain at the table (no activity is allowed in check line, near the check stands, on stairs, or in foyers, etc.) Table placement shall be as follows:

Campaign or election materials of any kind may not be 1) distributed door-to-door, 2) be placed underneath the doors or on doorknobs of residence hall rooms and 3) placed in residential areas.

Campaigning and the distribution of any type of material (even “get out and vote” material) cannot be distributed anywhere in the residence halls, except as indicated.

Campaigning and table to table “politicking” are prohibited in Burge and Hillcrest Market Place dining halls. All political activities that interfere with or disturb the normal dining room atmosphere are prohibited.

Campaign dinners in residence hall private dining rooms

Private dining rooms may be reserved by students who want to invite political candidates or their representatives to give formal speeches. These rooms can be reserved through either Market Place dining office using established procedures on a first come, first served basis. If space is requested during a meal time, candidates and participants not on a board plan for that particular meal must pay for the meal at the entrance to the market Place.