UI research has led to diverse discoveries and developments, including the Van Allen radiation belts, educational TV, and the Gallup Poll, and to advances in blood banking, biotechnology, computer simulation and computer-aided design, and educational testing.
- The university collected $424 million in external funding for research, education, and service in FY13. News release
- Iowa ranks 20th among public universities in federal research and development funding.
- The University of Iowa Research Park is central to the University’s interaction with industry and the public. It is home to:
- State Hygienic Laboratory at the University of Iowa—The state’s public health and environmental laboratory.
- National Advanced Driving Simulator — The world’s most sophisticated ground vehicle simulator.
- Center for Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing, which supports development of biotechnology for health, chemistry, and agriculture.
- The UI Technology Innovation Center, a business incubator, and the BioVentures Center, for life science companies that need wet laboratory space.
- The UI Research Foundation filed 116 patent applications for inventions in FY12 and earned more than $7.3 million in license revenue.
For more information, visit the Office of the Vice President for Research site.