Determining Financial Need
To determine your financial need, your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is subtracted from your estimated cost of attendance. Click on the links below for an explanation of how each amount is determined.
Financial aid helps fill the gap between the cost of attending The University of Iowa and the amount that a student and their family is able to contribute. To be considered for financial aid awarded through the University of Iowa Office of Student Financial Aid, students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Meet the eligibilitly requirements of each aid program.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States (for federal and state financial aid programs). International students with student visas are not eligible for financial aid awarded through the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Be enrolled at least half-time in a program leading to a degree or eligible certificate program. Enrollment in a University of Iowa Study Abroad Program is considered being enrolled for financial aid purposes. Federal Pell Grants may be available to students registered less than half-time; audits and cooperative education 00 semester hours do not count. Students enrolled as visiting students, extension, or other non-degree-granting programs are not eligible. If you are a graduate student registered for less than five hours and you are working on your dissertation or thesis or doing research toward fulfillment of a degree requirement, you may be considered a half-time or full-time student. Additional information is available on our graduate student web page.
- Not be in default on an educational loan nor owe a refund on a grant received at any institution.
- Be in good academic standing and maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the UI Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards.
- Be registered with the Selective Service (the draft) if you are male, at least 18 years old, and were born after December 31, 1959.
- Not have been convicted of possession or selling of illegal drugs.