Students can view and print their award notification from ISIS When in ISIS, click on the heading Student Records. Find the heading Financial Aid and click on Award Notification. Make sure you select the correct session (i.e. Fall 2013) when viewing each page)
Complete an Aid Adjustment Form to cancel or reduce your financial aid award
Understanding Your Award (PDF)
Residency Status for Tuition Purposes
After all required documents have been reviewed and you have been awarded financial aid, the University of Iowa Office of Student Financial Aid (UI OSFA) will send you an email instructing you to access your award notification on ISIS.
To view and print your award notification from ISIS, click on the heading Student Records and find the heading Financial Aid. Click on Award Notification. (Be sure you select the correct session you want to view, i.e. Fall 2013.) The award notification lists the maximum eligibility for each of the funds offered based on your application information.
If you have not been notified of your award within four weeks of submitting your IVF and all required tax returns, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid. The first batch of award notification emails will be sent in March.
Important information and answers to common questions regarding your award notification can be found in our brochure Understanding Your Award (PDF). If you have questions on how the cost of attendance or family contribution were determined, refer to those pages on our web site for an explanation.
- If you were awarded a loan and you want to accept the loan, you must complete a promissory note, if you have not already done so. Check to see if you need to complete promissory notes or entrance loan counseling on ISIS. Click on Student Records, then under the Financial Aid heading, click on Loan Document Status. Additional information is available on the Master Promissory Note (MPN) page of our web site.
- If you would like to reduce or decline any financial aid listed on your award notification, complete the Aid Adjustment Form and send it to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- If you are declining your work-study award and you are requesting that your loans be increased, we will increase your Federal Direct Subsidized Loan first, then your Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, then the Federal Direct PLUS (Parent) Loan or Federal Direct PLUS (Graduate/Professional Student) Loan. There is an annual maximum loan amount for each type of loan; therefore, if you have already been awarded the maximum amount of Federal Direct Subsidized Loan and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, we would not be able to increase those loans and the PLUS Loan would be increased. For information about the maximum loan amounts, click on the individual loan links above.
- If you are declining your Federal Direct Subsidized Loan and you have also been awarded a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, we will automatically cancel the unsubsidized loan too. We cannot award a student a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan if they have eligibility for a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan. (Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans accrue interest while the student is enrolled at least half-time. Federal Direct Subsidized Loans are interest-free while the student is enrolled at least half-time.)
- If you are receiving other financial aid not listed on your award notification, complete the Aid Adjustment Form and send it to the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA). Federal financial aid regulations require that all financial aid and educational resources (i.e., awards, prizes) must fit within your financial need and/or cost of attendance. If the OSFA becomes aware of additional financial aid or other educational resources, the financial aid that was awarded by OSFA may be reduced or cancelled.
- If your parent plans to borrow the Federal Direct PLUS Loan that they were offered, they must confirm that they want to borrow the loan by completing the Request for PLUS (Parent) Loan form. The PLUS Loan amount on the award notification is the maximum PLUS amount that a parent can borrow. The parent borrower must request the PLUS Loan each year by completing the separate Request for PLUS (Parent) Loan form and returning it to the Office of Student Financial Aid. Parents who are first-time borrowers of the Federal Direct PLUS Loan must complete an electronic Master Promissoroy Note (MPN) to receive the funds.
- If you are a transfer student, when the UI Office of Student Financial Aid (UI OSFA) awards your federal direct loans, the loan amounts will be based on your prior borrowing and on the transfer hours that were recorded by the UI Office of Admissions at the time the award is made. If you receive additional loans from your current school after the UI OSFA has awarded you loans, the loans awarded by the UI OSFA will be adjusted accordingly. If you will have additional transfer hours that will increase your earned hours from freshman to sophomore or sophomore to junior level, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for a possible loan increase after the Office of Admissions has reviewed your final academic transcript.