Special Enrollment Programs

There are a variety of special programs and enrollment classifications at the University of Iowa.  Financial aid may be available to help students who participate in these programs or have special enrollment classifications.

Individual University of Iowa colleges, departments, and programs may have their own financial aid funds to award. Check out the web site for the department/college in which you are enrolled.

Click on the links below for information on the various programs and enrollment classifications.

Students who are enrolled in classes for professional improvement or as a nondegree student whose classes are official prerequisites for admission into a degree program may qualify for financial aid.

Students must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States to be eligible for federal and state financial aid programs awarded by the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Students who are transferring to the University of Iowa from another college/university may be eligible for financial aid.

  • Visiting Students

Students who are attending the University of Iowa (UI) for a semester or academic year only and will be returning to their "home" institution to receive their degree are considered visiting students.  These students must apply for financial aid from their "home" institution.

Students who are taking Guided Independent Study classes only or in addition to on-campus classes may be eligible for financial aid.

  • Cooperative Education, Internships, and Auditing Courses

For financial aid purposes, students participating in these programs are considered not enrolled and; therefore, not eligible for financial aid.

  • Subsequent Bachelor's Degree/Teacher Certification

Students will not be eligible for scholarships and grants awarded by the Office of Student Financial Aid; however, they may qualify for work-study and/or loans. Students may need to file a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal form.

  • Major Only

Students working on a major only are not eligibile for federal financial aid.