Part-Time Hourly University Employment

Part-Time Hourly employment on the University of Iowa campus is limited to regularly enrolled University of Iowa students. Those individuals enrolled at other schools, for example Kirkwood Community College, are not eligible for student employment at the University during the academic year.

There are approximately 8,000 students employed under the part-time hourly program each academic year.

To qualify for part-time hourly employment during the academic year, a student must:

  • be enrolled at the University of Iowa
  • be registered for at least one hour (during the academic year). View information on the impact of withdrawing from the semester.

Student hourly work limitations are established by State of Iowa law. Students may work a maximum number of 20 hours per week during the academic year.  However, students may work a maximum of 40 hours per week during Thanksgiving, winter, and spring breaks and over the summer.

Student employees must be prepared to document their eligibility to work under federal law by completing an I-9 form prior to or on their first days of employment. Be prepared to present the documents necessary (PDF) to complete the I-9 Form. Additional information is available at

Should a student experience difficulties with their job regarding the interpretation or application of established policies and/or procedures governing the terms of their employment, working conditions, hours of work, or compensation, information regarding the Grievance Procedure is available.


Getting Paid

  • The amount a student earns is determined by multiplying the hourly rate of pay by the number of hours worked.  The student's rate of pay is established by the employer.  The State of Iowa minimum hourly wage is $7.25. The part-time wage survey (PDF) provides information on rates of pay.
  • The Payment System web page provides an explanation of the documents required and the process.
  • Students are paid biweekly according to the Payroll Biweekly Schedule. Payment for hours worked is deposited in the student's bank account, it is not credited to the student's University account (U-bill).
  • Employment hours are entered electronically through ISIS.
  • For additional information on resources available to students regarding their payroll information, view ISIS & Self Service Human Resource Access for Students.