FAQ - Award Notification


How will I know if my financial aid file has been reviewed by the Office of Student Financial Aid and how do I find out what types of financial aid I have been awarded?

You can check your financial aid information on ISIS. Click on Student Records, then on Financial Aid. When in ISIS, be sure to click on the appropriate session in the upper right corner of each page.  Information is available mid-March prior to each academic year.

Why is the left side of my award notification cut off when I view it in ISIS?

If you are using Internet Explorer as your web browser, your award notification may not display correctly.  Try using Firefox or Chrome.

What is Work-Study and how do I find a Work-Study job?

Work-Study is a part-time employment program for U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are at least half-time students in a degree program and demonstrate financial need by filing the FAFSA each year. For additional information, see the work-study section of our employment web page. If you have been awarded Work-Study and would like to view Work-Study as well as part-time job listings, go to our Job Opportunities web page. To view available Work-Study jobs on Jobnet, you will need to enter the Work-Study Code that is listed on your award notification.

I didn't qualify for Work-Study, can I still work on campus?

Yes. There are many job opportunities on the University of Iowa campus. Make plans to attend the Fall Job Fair held during the first week of classes in August. Visit our Job Fair web page to obtain additional information. This will be a great opportunity for you to see what types of jobs are available.

What is the difference between a subsidized and an unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan?

The subsidized loan is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The federal government pays the interest on the loan while the student is in school at least half-time and during certain periods, such as grace and deferment.

The unsubsidized loan is awarded to students regardless of financial need. The student is charged interest on the loan from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. Students can either pay the interest while in school or it will be capitalized (added to their principal loan balance, thus increasing the amount they will repay).


What are the loan fees listed on the award notification?

The federal government assesses loan fees on Federal Direct Loans. Detailed information is available on our loan fees web page.

How do I cancel or reduce my student loan(s)?

If you were awarded loans and you want to cancel or reduce them, complete the Aid Adjustment Form or send an email to our office (financial-aid@uiowa.edu). If emailing, be sure to include your full name, student ID number, the name of the loan you are wanting to cancel/reduce, and the academic year for which you want the loan cancelled/reduced. If you are wanting a loan reduced, be very specific about the amount that you want the loan reduced to.

It may take up to three business days for your cancellation/reduction request to be processed. Approximately one week after submitting your request, check your financial aid award on ISIS. After accessing ISIS:

  • click on the heading Student Records and find the heading Financial Aid (make sure you select the correct session in the upper right corner when viewing each page
  • click on the heading Award Notification

What do I do if my parents choose not to take out a PLUS loan?

Review the individual items listed in the estimated cost of attendance. The cost of attendance includes personal and transportation expenses. You may not incur those expenses and you may not need the PLUS loan. If you feel that you need to take out an additional loan, you could apply for a private alternative loan.

I will be a first-year student this fall and will be taking out a Federal Direct Loan. When should I complete my Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling requirement?

Do it now online through a link from our Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling web pages. Taking care of this requirement now will be one less thing to have to worry about during your transition to the University of Iowa.