Please contact one of the chairs of the Funded Retirement Insurance Committee. Use "Members" link below.
(UI Benefits Office)
Office of the President
FRIC meeting notes
December 7, 2012
Meeting was called to order at 11:30am in 302 USB.
Members in attendance: Nancy Davin, Katherine Dudley, Mary Greer, Daniel Katz, Heather Schnoebelen, Katherine Tachau, Anand Vijh, Michael Wichman
Members absent: Steve Bernholz, Jon Garfinkel, Matthew Glasson, Sheldon Kurtz, Bernard Sorofman, Victoria Sharp
Administrative Officers present: Sue Buckley, Richard Saunders
Guests present: Rick Borchard, Terri Hein, Suzanne Hilleman, Debra Hughes, Susan Klatt, Dianne Wasson
- Introductions were done.
- Minutes from the November 2nd, 2012 meeting were approved as corrected.
- Richard Saunders provided an update on open enrollment. 61% of the employees worked on their open enrollment materials. There are still 34 individuals enrolled in CHIP II, another letter is being sent to this group to let them know that their health insurance is ending. 389 individuals have not yet taken action related to Dental I.
- Richard reported that on the 2012 W2’s, health insurance premium (total cost to employee & employer) will be listed as well as employee spending account information. The federal government is requiring it be reported and is informational only.
- Richard handed out a document of endorsement titled Professional Organization Statements Supporting Transgender People in Health Care. He discussed his conversation with the University of Michigan and that this institution has had transgender coverage for 10 years, approximately 3 individual per year go through the program but not all participate in the surgery. Michigan does not track the costs as it is small. They do not cover items such as Adam’s apple shaping, facial cosmetic surgery, and facial electrolysis. The question was raised as to whether they require a specific local hospital to be the required provider. Richard will check on this and get back to the group.
Discussion was held among the group and it was determined that the group needed more information before moving forward with any type of recommendation. Richard will invite Dr. Nicole Nisly to speak to the group on this issue and asked that any specific questions for Dr. Nisly be forwarded to Richard in advance so that Dr. Nisly can be prepared to address. One question that was raised is what is the outline of recommended care (ie-what is essential and non-essential care) for those considering this type of treatment.
- Dental II was discussed among the group. Richard reported that this plan was created in 1990 and the plan design has not changed since that time. A restorative maximum of $1500 per year per person has been in place and it has been requested from employees that the maximum be raised due to increasing costs. Richard provided the follow data for 2011:
- 810 people exceeded $1500
- 723 people between $1500-$2000
- 90 people exceeded $2000
- The highest claim was just under $4000
The group discussed that if the maximum was raised to $2000 there would be ~$1.40 per contract increase (per month) as this would add $153,000 a year cost to UI. If the maximum were raised to $4000 this would be ~$3.00 per contract increase (per month) as this would add $300,000 a year cost to UI.
It was further discussed that $1500 in 1990 would be worth about $4600 today. The group discussed the costs of care and held discussion on the impact on contract rates. A motion was made and seconded to increase the maximum coverage for restorative care to $2,000, the motion passed. It was also agreed that this should be monitored for future adjustments.
- Old Business was discussed and the question about Cambus access to IRL, Richard will look into this and follow up at the next meeting.
- New Business was raised and a question about UI Benefits website shutting down prior to the midnight open enrollment closure. There was a system issue and it couldn’t be anticipated. Employees are able to make changes to the confirmation statement and return those to the Benefits Office if they still wish to amend their benefits selections.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:15 pm
Recorder: Heather Schnoebelen