and Dependent Life Insurance
and Information for
Completing Your Personal Enrollment
These instructions will assist you in completing your Personal Enrollment for The University of Iowa Benefits Program.
This program allows you to obtain life insurance for your spouse/partner and/or your children. Term life insurance coverage is available for your spouse, and dependents (14 days to 26 years old, unless the dependent is disabled; if dependent is disabled and classified as a dependent for tax purposes, there is no maximum age for coverage). If you would like to participate you have the choice of six programs. Each selection gives your spouse and/or dependents the life insurance as noted. The next column to the right gives the monthly cost of your selection. If you do not want to participate in this program, enter the number “90” on the “Option Code” line. Once you have made your selection, enter the appropriate number on the “Option Code” line. No beneficiary designation is required, as the employee will always be the beneficiary in case of the death of a spouse and/or dependent.
You may choose one of the following plans:
- Spouse/partner only in the amount of $10,000. This coverage is $3.49 per month.
- Spouse/partner only in the amount of $20,000. This coverage is $6.66 per month.
- Dependent only in the amount of $5,000 per child. This coverage is $1.02 per month.
- Dependent only in the amount of $10,000 per child. This coverage is $1.94 per month.
- Spouse/partner and Dependent in the amount of $10,000 for the spouse/partner and $5,000 per child. This coverage is $4.51 per month.
- Spouse/partner and Dependent in the amount of $20,000 for the spouse/partner and $10,000 per child. This coverage is $8.60 per month.
NOTE: This premium may only be paid after-tax, as a deduction from your net pay.
The primary beneficiary for the Spouse/partner and/or Dependent Life Insurance will always be the employee. The contingent beneficiary will always be the insured’s estate.
If you have questions or concerns regarding the enrollment process, please contact:
Web Site: www.uiowa.edu/hr/benefits
Phone: 319-335-2676 or
877-830-4001 (toll free)