Protection When you Travel
(You're most likely already covered)
University of Iowa employees and their families may be eligible for two different travel assistance programs, based on their participation in the required Group Life Insurance product (offered through Principal) or the Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance program (offered through Zurich).
Because participation in the University’s group term life insurance program is a condition of employment for regular University faculty and staff members who hold a 50% time or greater appointment, you are most likely already covered. If you have group life insurance, you are eligible for the robust travel assistance services offered through Principal Insurance Company.
Participation in the Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance plan offered through Zurich Insurance is voluntary. If you purchase this insurance, you are eligible for the travel assistance services they offer.
The travel assistance offered through both of these companies is offered as a component of the insurance plan already offered; if you have the insurance there is no additional charge to you for the travel assistance benefits.
If you participate in both plans listed above, you're eligible for both travel assistance plans. These are two separate programs with different benefits. They do not coordinate benefits. We recommend that if you are eligible for both, you familiarize yourself with both so you can utilize the plan that is most beneficial to you if you have a claim.
Principal Travel Assistance
The Principal Travel Assistance plan is a robust plan that offers a wide range of benefits:
You, your spouse and dependent children (whether traveling together or separately) have access to travel, medical, legal and financial assistance plus emergency medical evacuation benefits when traveling domestically or internationally 100 or more miles away from home for up to 120 consecutive days.
These services and many others are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:
- Information and assistance including pre-trip and cultural information services
- Customs and immunization information
- Personal assistance services, medical assistance services, etc.
- Emergency medical transportation services - medically supervised repatriation, transportation of a
family member or travelling companion, etc.
For more detailed information, please visit http://www.principal.com/grouplh/travel-assistance/travel.htm .
Zurich Travel Assist
Zurich Travel Assist® is a medically based travel assistance program. As a member of the International Assistance Group, World Travel Protection, the administrator of Zurich Travel Assist®, can respond instantly to medical and legal emergencies throughout the world. Zurich Travel Assist® is in effect when You travel 100 miles or more from home.
These services and others are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:
• Medical evacuation - If the local hospital, medical facility or clinic is not able to provide You with medical care comparable to Western Medical Standards, they will arrange and cover the cost of Your
transportation to the nearest hospital or facility which can provide such care.
• Medical monitoring - When they are notified of a medical emergency, their multilingual staff will establish contact with the local attending physician and assist with arranging appropriate care.
• Prescription assistance - In the event You forgot Your medications, they can arrange for a refill of Your prescription and will help locate what You need locally and arrange delivery, where permitted by law.
• Emergency medical referral - They will provide the name, address, and telephone number of physicians, hospitals and clinics for the area in which You are traveling.
• Travel advisories - They can inform You of the latest available travel advisories, including crime alerts and areas of instability for countries worldwide.
• Inoculation and immunization - They provide the latest information, obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, regarding inoculation and immunization requirements around the world.
To contact Zurich regarding this Travel Assistance Plan, the Covered Person must call 1-800-263-0261 from the U.S. or Canada; and collect from anywhere else in the world at +1-416-977-0277 and reference policy
GTU 2855720; or visit the website: www.zurichna.com/travelassist.
The University recently completed an agreement with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) to provide medical & travel insurance coverage for students, faculty and staff traveling abroad on university business. Major features of the program include basic medical insurance and emergency medical and security evacuation.
Faculty and staff travelers (on University business) incur no cost for the program’s premium, coverage and services. Optional coverage is available at the traveler's expense for accompanying spouse/domestic partner or dependents: Spouse/partner and/or dependent coverage application .
To be covered, you must register your travel in advance through the University’s ProTrav system (http://www.uiowa.edu/purchasing/pc/protrav/). Enrollment will occur automatically approximately three (3) weeks prior to your departure. You will receive an enrollment confirmation email from the Benefits Office.
This program does not apply to personal international travel.
For more information, or a claim form view the Program Certificate and Claim form.