About Career Development Advising Services
What is the Career Development Advising service?
The Career Development Advising service was created to assist employees pursuing their personal career goals within The University of Iowa. We can help you identify new skills to use in your current position, look for a change or opportunity to advance in your current career track, or take your career in an entirely new direction. Our advisors are certified by the Career Planning and Adult Development Network as Job and Career Development Coaches.
Who qualifies for services?
UI Employee Career Development Advising is a free and confidential service to help permanent employees achieve their personal career development goals within The University of Iowa. UI students are encouraged to contact the career services office of the college they are attending for assistance with career development.
During a one-on-one consultation we can help you:
- Assess your career goals
- Develop a specific search strategy or long range career development plan
- Understand what prospective employers are looking for
- Review websites and other available resources
- Design your resume specifically for the type of positions you’re looking for
- Create cover letters
- Develop effective interviewing skills and techniques to present your unique skills and experiences to your best advantage
- Strategize to achieve your goals with benchmarks to measure your success
- Learn to use position descriptions, pay grade matrixes and information, reclassification processes, and promotional pathways
We will provide information and resources during a one-on-one consultation and even schedule a follow-up session, if desired. Appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday between 8:30-10:30 am or 1:00 and 3:00 pm. Length of appointments vary based on the topics the employee desires to discuss. Please contact us if you wish to set up an appointment or have additional questions.
Contact us at: email@example.com