HUMAN RESOURCES - Employment Services
DEFINITIONS OF STANDARD SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
and LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- 10 Key Keypad: Must be able to key numbers quickly
and accurately from an original document without looking at the keypad.
- 3-OT Pesticide applicators license: Must currently
be certified by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources in the application
of pesticides with the 3 ornamental and turf endorsement.
- Bookkeeping: Must have kept the financial records
of a company or business including at least one of the following areas,
payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable.
- Budget Preparation: Must have experience assisting
in the preparation of budgets.
- Certified Animal Care Technician: American Association
of Laboratory Animal Science full certification as an Assistant Laboratory
- Certified Dental Assistant: Must be certified as a
- Certified Medical Assistant: Must be certified as
a Medical Assistant.
- Certified Nursing Assistant: Certified as a Nursing
Assistant in the State of Iowa.
- Chauffeurs License: Must have a valid chauffeur’s
license in any state.
- Class A CDL: Must have a valid Class A CDL.
- Class B CDL: Must have a valid Class B CDL.
- Computer Aided Design (CAD): Must be able to name
the program. Must be able to create, edit and save drawings.
- Dental Insurance Claims: Must have worked for a dentist
or dental clinic submitting and resolving dental claims.
- Dental Terminology: Must have completed a dental terminology
course or extensively used dental terminology in a work setting.
Publishing/Graphics: Must be able to name the program which
must be a Desktop Publishing program (not a word processing program.)
Must be able to lay out, design and edit various documents for publication.
Must be able to create graphics and to scan, import and alter images.
- Drivers License: Must have a valid drivers license
in any state.
- EEG/EP Tech Part I (ABRET): Must be certified by the
American Board of Registration of EEG/EP Technologists (ABRET), Part
- EEG/EP Tech Part II (ABRET): Must be certified by
the American Board of Registration of EEG/EP Technologists (ABRET), Part
- Freon Certification: Must be certified in the use
- Functional Supervision: Must have supervised other
employees. The supervision must include assigning work, approving days
off, recommending discipline, and supervision must be a designated part
of the job description.
- Grant Preparation: Must have experience in typing
grants in the rigidly specified formats required by national granting
- Hospital Medical Patient Scheduling: Must have scheduled patient appointments on
a computerized medical scheduling program in a hospital or similar medical
setting within the last two years.
- ICD-9 and CPT IV Coding: Must have coded medical claims
or have Health Information Management coding education.
- Iowa Dental Radiology Certification: Must have the “Added
Dental Radiography from the Iowa Board of Dental Examiners.
- Iowa Registered Dental Assistant: Must be registered
to practice as a Dental Assistant by the Iowa Board of Dental Examiners
and have a card from the Board showing valid registration dates.
- Legal Terminology: Must have completed a legal terminology
course or extensively used legal terminology in a work setting.
- Licensed Practical Nurse: Licensed as a Licensed Practical
Nurse (LPN) with the Iowa Board of Nursing.
- Manuscript Typing: Must have
experience typing manuscripts in the rigidly specified formats required
by books and journals.
- Medical Insurance Claims: Must have worked for a hospital, physician,
medical clinic or medical insurance company submitting and resolving medical
- Medical Laboratory Technician: Must be currently certified
as a MLT by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists.
- Medical Records Technician (AMRA): Certification as a Registered Health
Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician
(RHIT), Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS).
- Medical Terminology: Must have completed a medical terminology course
or extensively used medical terminology in a work setting.
- PC Database: Must be able to name the program. The program must be a PC
based, non- proprietary program. Must be able to do most of the following:
create, edit and run a filter, a report and a query; find, sort and replace
data; add fields to an existing database and create properties for those
fields. Must be able to define a relational database and explain the significance
of creating a complex query in a relational database.
- PC Spreadsheet: Must be able to name the program. Must be able to create,
save and write the formulas in a spreadsheet. Must be able to do many of
the following tasks: Work with sheets, special formatting, create charts,
create and run macros, and link data.
- PowerPoint: Must be able to create, edit and run PowerPoint presentations.
- Public Contact/Customer Service: Must have worked in a position that requires high volume public contact, multi tasking and answering multi-line phones on a regular basis involving internal and external customers.
- Radiologic Technologist RTR (ARRT): Certification in diagnostic procedures
by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologies.
- Respiratory Therapy Technician (CRT): Certification by the National Board
for Respiratory Care.
- Scientific/Technical Typing: Must have experience with typing super and
sub scripts used in complex mathematical and engineering notation.
- Surgical Technologist: Certification as a Surgical Technologist.
- Transcribing/Dictaphone: Must have transcribed from the spoken word using
a transcribing machine.
- Typing Score: Can be requested when it is not part
of a Classification’s
minimum requirements. Clerk and Office Coordinator positions could be 20
or 30 words per minute, and Secretary and Clerk Typist positions could
be 45 or 50 wpm.
- Web Page Development: Must be able to name the program. Must be able to
design web pages, create links, add pictures and other art, and use tables.
Must be able to use an FTP program to post web pages to the server. Must
understand basic web page design. Should be able to post updates to a web
- Word Processing: Must be able to name the program.
Must be proficient in the use of the following commands: cut, paste,
copy, create new document, open, print set up, print, save and "save as." Must
be familiar with most of the following: mail merge, batch printing, working
with headers and footers, working with tables, creating and running macros,
creating and using templates.
^ top of page