Well Back-up Child Care
Offered by Handicare, Inc.
To use the WELL Back-up Child Care program, please read all guidelines, complete and return the pre-registration/pre-enrollment forms to the Family Services Office.
All required forms must be completed and received by the Family Services Office two (2) business days in advance of a parent requesting the care.
For information as to the services and programs of Handicare, Inc., visit Handicare, Inc.’s web site at http://www.handicareinc.com/.
Definition and Guidelines
Definition of Well Back-up Child Care:
For the UI family who needs back-up child care when
- the normal school or child care arrangement is temporarily unavailable; e.g., teacher’s day or a break/holiday;
- the usual school or child care arrangement is unavailable due to weather;
- a parent has not yet found a permanent child care arrangement and temporary care is needed;
- a parent’s work or school day is extended and temporary care is needed; or
- a recruit is visiting the campus and a temporary child care arrangement is needed.
Well back-up care is not intended to care for an ill child.
Those eligible for the program are University of Iowa faculty, staff or students who require back-up child care to meet work, academic or life responsibilities.
Ages of Children
- For children, six (6) weeks of age to eight (8) years of age.
- For children with disabilities, the age can be extended based on the disability and the appropriateness of care.
Hours, Days & Location
- 6:30 am to 6:30 pm
- Monday through Friday, excluding the holidays of: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday following Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and when extreme weather occurs forcing Handicare, Inc. to close
- 2220 9th St, Coralville, Iowa
- Complete and submit pre-registration/pre-enrollment forms to the Family Services Office. The forms must be completed and received by the Family Services Office two (2) business days in advance of a parent requesting the care.
- Request and reserve care by calling Handicare, Inc. at (319)354-7641. State you are a University of Iowa faculty, staff or student, or the spouse/partner.
- Provide infant formula, diapers/pull-ups and a change of clothes.
- Notify Handicare, Inc. if arriving after 6:30 pm and pay any late fees.
- Pay the back-up child care fee to Handicare, Inc. the day the care is provided.
Fees to the Families
- Daily fee is $46 to $79 depending upon the age and need of the child.
- Monthly fee is $379 to $1,028 depending upon the age and need of the child.
- The late fee ranges from $22.00 to $39.00 (depending upon the age of the child). Late fees will be charged if a child is picked-up after 6:30 pm.
There is no registration fee for this program assessed to University of Iowa faculty, staff and students.
- Care is requested/reserved by calling Handicare, Inc. at (319) 354-7641 during the hours of 6:30 am to 6:30 pm.
- State you are a University of Iowa affiliated family.
- It is suggested that the family requests a reservation as soon as the need is known.
- If a child care slot is available when the University of Iowa family contacts Handicare, Inc. and if the care requested is appropriate and the staff are available, care will be provided regardless of when the telephone call request is received.
- Prior to a reservation being finalized, the parent must complete and submit to the Family Services Office all required forms.
- Care may be denied if the family in the past has reserved a slot, was a “no show” and did not follow the cancellation process and/or did not pay the cancellation fee.
A cancellation fee of $25 will be charged to the parent if a reservation is cancelled less than 48 hours of the requested/reserved care. If the parent is a “no show” or does not cancel prior to the required 48 hours and does not pay the $25, future requests for care may be denied.
The pre-registration/pre-enrollment forms can be found at this web site: http://www.uiowa.edu/hr/famserv/childcare/forms.html.
Please note: All forms must be completed and received by the Family Services Office at least two (2) business days in advance of reserving the Well back-up child care slot at Handicare, Inc.
Return the forms to:
Family Services Office
If you have questions and/or concerns regarding this service, contact Nicole Studt at email@example.com or (319)335-1371. Thank you.