Knowledge Builders website is about employment and disability. This tool, offered by Faculty and Staff Disability Services, is for you to gain knowledge of UI disability policy, disabilities and best employment practices in employing individuals who have disabilities.
“... We must build a world free of unnecessary barriers, stereotypes, and discrimination. Policies must be developed, attitudes must be shaped, and buildings and organizations must be designed to ensure that everyone has a chance to get the education they need and live independently as full citizens in their communities. ”
President Barack Obama, April 11, 2009
Source: DBTAC National Network of ADA Centers (adaanniversary.org)
- Video: Ability Awareness: “I’m Tyler”
- Video: Temple Grandin: Why Autism is a gift. This video is not captioned; however, the text is available to read or for using a screen reader in the article located on this same page.
- Video: Temple Grandin:The World Needs All Kinds of Minds. (20 minutes) Captioning is available by selecting English in the Subtitles option in the bottom left of the video area.
What do you think about People with Disabilities? Test yourself:
- Myth/Facts about People with Disabilities
- Myths/Facts about Employment for People with Disabilities
- Myths and Facts about Workers with Disabilities
Employing People with Disabilities
- Video: The Campaign for Disability Employment: “Meet Sue”
- Video: Finding Gold: Hiring the Best and the Brightest
- Video: “Let’s Come Together,” The Campaign for Disability Employment
- Access to Technology in the Workplace: In our Own Words
- Job Accommodation Network: Multiple Sclerosis
- Job Accommodation Network: Employees with Mental Health Impairments
- Guide to Effective Interaction: Communicating With and About People with Disabilities in the Workplace
- Disability etiquette
Visit the Educational Opportunities page to review a list of upcoming classes and workshops.