UI LEAD: Supervisor and Administrator Information
The UI LEAD program builds a foundation for mutual success by involving a faculty or staff member's direct supervisor, director, or faculty administrator in the process.
We appreciate your interest in supporting the growth and development of your faculty and staff members.
This information is regarding your supervisory role in supporting your employees who are considering in enrolling in UI LEAD.
- What is UI LEAD?
- Why is UI LEAD unique?
- Who might consider UI LEAD?
- What is my role ?
- More Information
UI LEAD is a new, comprehensive leadership education, assessment, and development program for University of Iowa faculty and staff members. Essentially, it provides focused feedback and individualized development planning and goal-setting over an 18 to 24 month period. . . . Learn more
Leadership development is needed more than ever as a critical tool for an organization seeking to grow and adapt in today’s rapidly shifting environment. Our goal is to move individuals to the next level of professional leadership. . . Learn more
UI LEAD is an investment, and therefore, we encourage your college or department to consider potential candidates who demonstrate high leadership potential. We ask that you consider faculty and staff members who are committed to building their leadership effectiveness to benefit The University of Iowa. Possible UI LEAD candidates may include. . . Learn more
What involvement does UI LEAD ask of you, the participant’s supervisor or administrator?
We have found that your involvement is critical to a participant's success. Our process supports a partnership between you and your faculty or staff member, to maximize his/her potential and achieve work-related outcomes that will lead to organizational success. Participation in UI LEAD is to be viewed as developmental, not evaluative in nature.
To participate in UI LEAD, your faculty or staff member (“employee”) will need you to:
- At the beginning: Take part in a one-hour interview with your employee and his/her UI LEAD advisor. The purpose is to encourage your input into the process by identifying organizational objectives pertinent to your employee’s future, and discussing ways you can support his/her development. Additionally, your employee will need you to be a rater in his/her online 360 assessment. Supervisors’ feedback is a crucial aspect of the program; therefore your responses will be a distinct part of your participant’s 360 report.
- About one month later: We encourage you to meet with your employee to discuss how the UI LEAD process is going, and to review his/her Talent Development Plan, which describes his/her goals, planned actions, and measures. This meeting can include the UI LEAD advisor if you desire.
- Throughout the program, we encourage you to initiate communication with your employee on a monthly basis. How are they progressing on their goals? What observations do you have of actions they are taking around their leadership role, and to what result? What efforts and outcomes do you want to recognize? What resources or support might you lend?
- At the end (in 18-14 months): The second online 360 assessment will be conducted. You, your employee, and his/her UI LEAD advisor will have a closing meeting to discuss progress made during the program. We will offer guidance on how to calculate “return on investment,” which can be one way your employee can measure his/her success in achieving goals.
To learn more about UI LEAD’s program elements, please visit our Process page.