UI LEAD: Information for Candidates
UI LEAD advisors work with you to create a team of support and resources that assist in your leadership growth.
We invite you to explore UI LEAD,
. . the next step on your leadership journey.
UI LEAD (or Leadership Education, Assessment, and Development) is a new, comprehensive leadership competency program for University of Iowa faculty and staff members.
UI LEAD is a competency-based leadership program, meaning it goes beyond describing leadership qualities, to heightening participants’ awareness of specific leadership behaviors that create and sustain organizational success.
Our work assesses your current strengths and identifies areas to stretch, or challenge yourself. By focusing on goals, you achieve greater effectiveness, resiliency, and performance. From a blending of feedback, goals, and support comes personal awareness, action, and change.
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it, even if I may not have it at the beginning.— Mahatma Gandhi
UI faculty and staff members, who are committed to building their leadership effectiveness to benefit The University of Iowa. UI LEAD candidates may include UI faculty and staff members who are:
- Experienced leaders readying for their next stage in leadership, and/or succession planning;
- Leaders expanding their careers, or their effectiveness in their current roles;
- Technically gifted managers who want to sharpen their people-leadership skills; and
- High-potential individuals who wish to prepare for increased leadership roles.
Additionally, faculty and staff might consider UI LEAD as a complement to other current or future leadership coursework, coaching, or “community of practice” involvement.
It’s collaborative—The interview process engages participants and supervisors or faculty administrators in a discussion of shared goals and success measures.
It’s consultative—UI LEAD advisors meet 1:1 with you (the UI LEAD participant), facilitating your learning by providing insight and referral to targeted resources.
It’s customized—Select from assessment formats and development activities that are based upon leadership competencies which fit your position and growth potential.
“The 360 assessment was an eye-opener. I saw that people wanted different things from me, and I was able to adjust my leadership style to respond to their needs.”
“It was refreshing to talk about workplace issues with my [advisor/coach]. She knew enough about my situation to provide useful feedback, but was far enough away from the . . . details that she could offer an unbiased perspective on the problems I was facing.”
- For a description of how UI LEAD works, please visit our Process section.
- For Leadership Education, Assessment, and Development opportunities, please review our Resource section.
- For enrollment, including time, cost and value of UI LEAD, browse to our Enrollment information page.