UI LEAD: Enrollment
- Who might consider UI LEAD?
- What is the time commitment?
- What is the cost?
- What is the value?
- How do I apply?
- More Information
UI faculty and staff members who are:
- Experienced leaders readying for their next stage in leadership, and/or succession planning;
- Leaders expanding their careers, or their effectiveness in their current roles;
- Technically gifted faculty or staff who want to sharpen their people-leadership skills; and
- High-potential individuals who wish to prepare for increased leadership roles.
UI LEAD complements a faculty or staff members’ current or future leadership coursework, coaching, or “community of practice” involvement. UI LEAD can be considered the first phase of any leader development activity. Why? By aligning with organizational goals and applying insight gained from a comprehensive assessment, individuals can enter subsequent continued education in a more focused way, gaining more as a result. UI LEAD can support measuring progress (or return on investment) of other leadership education or activities undertaken during the 18 to 24 month time a participant is enrolled in UI LEAD.
The following estimates may help prospective candidates and their supervisors or faculty administrators gauge UI LEAD involvement.
For participants (once enrolled): about 10 hours over 18-24 months
- 1:1 Meetings with UI LEAD advisor
Face-to-face meetings for 6 hours (on average) over 18-24 months. Additionally, advisors contact participants 6 and 12 months after initiating the program, then again at closing time (18-24 months.)
Participants also complete the 360 assessment. (About 2 hours over 18-24 months.)
- Self-paced work
Access to assessment, education, and development resources and services at times that fit work schedules and needs. These professional development opportunities may be concurrent with UI LEAD, or subsequent. (As development plans are highly tailored, time expectations vary from individual to individual, and thus are not estimated here.)
- Ongoing communication
We recommend participants and their direct supervisors meet on a monthly basis throughout the program to discuss UI LEAD goals and the use of enhanced skills in the workplace.
For supervisors or faculty administrators of UI LEAD participants: about 6 hours over 18-24 months
- Meetings with UI LEAD advisors
Participants will need to invite their direct supervisor or faculty administrator to provide feedback through completion of an online 360 assessment survey. Direct feedback is a crucial aspect of the program; therefore, the responses from one's immediate supervisor or faculty administrator will be a distinct part of the 360 report. (About 2 hours over 18-24 months.)
- Reviewing plans
We encourage participants meet with their direct supervisor or faculty administrator to review their Talent Development Plan and discuss specific actions and developmental opportunities.
- Ongoing communication
Each month, we recommend participants meet 1:1 with their direct supervisor/administrator to discuss progress on goals and the use of enhanced skills in the workplace.
The cost for UI LEAD is $425 for UI faculty and staff, which covers the assessment and subscription costs from our vendor, Envisia Learning. (We contract with Envisia Learning to provide participants with innovative online 360 surveys, comprehensive reports, and interactive toolkits.)
We encourage individuals interested in UI LEAD to seek support from their supervisor/administrator to cover the program cost of $425. While individuals can opt to pay on their own for UI LEAD, the program still requires the involvement of the direct supervisor/administrator.
UI LEAD provides a structured method for assessing and developing leadership competency. With conferences, continuing education, and even advanced degrees, you may be spending a good deal of time or money on leadership development. Since UI LEAD is a personalized awareness-building and goal-setting program, it complements other educational activities. You could consider UI LEAD a sort of “insurance plan” for your other educational investments.
We encourage you to consider UI LEAD as an important precursor to other continuing education opportunities, such as an M.B.A., or leadership development programs such as those from The Center for Creative Leadership, the CIC (Academic Leadership Program), or UI faculty or staff development opportunities. UI LEAD advisors provide support for participants in calculating the “return on investment” from UI LEAD participation and goal achievement.
Services your faculty or staff member receives by participating in UI LEAD include:
- Confidential feedback from direct reports, peers, colleagues, students, or "customers." Direct developmental feedback from supervisor(s) or administrator(s). Targeted assessment tools to match various leadership roles.
- Pre and post assessment: two assessment opportunities, spanning 18 to 24 months.
- Comprehensive written reports of assessment results, providing measurable progress of growth in leadership competency.
- 1:1 consultation with advisor: On average, six hours of personalized, one-on-one consultation with a UI LEAD advisor with follow-up throughout the program.
- An individual Talent Development Plan tailored to individual needs and linked to resources aligned with career development goals.
- Talent Accelerator: A year-long subscription to Talent Accelerator, an online toolkit which embeds assessment results, suggests best practices, and provides an interactive approach to goal-setting.
Ready—Make an Inquiry
We encourage potential candidates to first talk with their supervisor or faculty administrator about their interest in UI LEAD. Then, a candidate needs to initiate the application process by calling 335-2085 and asking to speak with Nikole Mac or a UI LEAD advisor.
Even if your supervisor/administrator has already provided you with UI LEAD information, we encourage you to review this web site, and the “Candidates” page. Then, as a potential participant, please contact us directly to begin the enrollment process.
Enrollment in the UI LEAD program requires four things:
- Your commitment to participate in all steps of the process;
- Your supervisor’s (or faculty administrator's) participation;
- Acceptance into the program by a UI LEAD advisor; and
- Payment of $425, which covers the assessment and subscription costs from our vendor, Envisia Learning.
Your UI LEAD advisor will let you know when it is time to initiate payment. Once that occurs, please submit a UI Requisition, payable to Organizational Effectiveness, and send by campus mail to 121-50 USB, or fax to 319-335-2056.
For payment questions, please call Barb Simon t 319-335-5464.
Go—Meet Your Advisor
If you haven’t been already, you will be matched with a UI LEAD advisor, who can provide detailed program information, answer your questions, and get you ready to begin the program. At this overview meeting, you and your advisor can discuss the assessment products available, and help you in considering who you will identify as raters to receive your survey. UI LEAD recommends you also consult with your supervisor/administrator about assessment choices and rater selection.
For more information about the process, please visit UI LEAD:Process.