THE WORK NUMBER® is a service of TALX Corporation that provides employees with an automated process to handle employment verifications. It allows our employees to have their employment and salary verified within a matter of minutes. This fast, secure service is used for mortgage applications, reference checks, loan applications, and apartment leases; anything that requires proof of employment. It is quick, accurate, and best of all, it’s easy.
Requested information is printed directly from their web site at www.theworknumber.com or voiced and/or faxed to verifiers who access the system through an 800 number.
Employers contract with TALX to handle employment verifications for all employees paid by that employer, using data from their payroll files that are sent to TALX after each payroll run. The information allows TALX to provide:
- Most recent hire date
- Termination date (if no longer employed)
- Total time with The University of Iowa
- Job title
- Rate of pay
- Gross earnings for current year to date, including base pay, overtime, bonuses, and commissions
- Gross earnings for last year and two years past, including base pay, overtime, bonuses, and commissions
The process of obtaining employment and salary information through THE WORK NUMBER® is easy.
- The University of Iowa’s payroll department provides updated employment and salary information files to THE WORK NUMBER® after each payroll cycle.
- The employee provides the verifier his/her social security number, our employer code, and a Salary Key (if the associate wants to allow the verifier obtain salary information).
- The verifier contacts THE WORK NUMBER® and enters the employer code, the employee's SSN, and the Salary Key (if requesting salary information). The verifier can contact THE WORK NUMBER® via the Internet or 800 number.
- The Internet displays the information and the 800 number voices the information. If the verifier accesses the data via the Web site, he/she is able to print a copy of the verification from his/her desktop. If the verifier accesses data via the 800 number, the caller has the option to enter a fax number when prompted, and the system automatically sends a fax with all the information.
When employees provide verifiers with a Salary Key, they are giving the verifier permission to access their salary information.
A Salary Key is not required if the verifier does not need salary information. Salary Keys are not required for employment verifications from THE WORK NUMBER®. The Verification of Employment includes job title, total time with company, and start or termination date. The majority of our verifications will be Verifications of Employment, requiring no Salary Key.
To generate a Salary Key, the employee goes to the web site at www.theworknumber.com or dials 1-800-367-2884. The employee will be prompted to enter the employer code and his password. Once logged in, the employee will select the option to create a salary key and the system will generate a 6-digit random number. The salary key is displayed or voiced to the employee. A Salary Key is valid for one salary verification by one verifier. The employee must create a new Salary Key for each verifier as needed, and may have up to three codes active at one time.
How does an Employee get the Password that is required to obtain a Salary Key?
The password is the employee’s last 4 digits of SSN plus year of birth.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires that students (either current or past) must give their consent to disclose their public records. By obtaining a salary key through THE WORK NUMBER®, the student employee is giving consent to disclose their employment and income information.
Even though we will communicate these new procedures to every employee, we know that most employees will still have questions about how to obtain employment verification when they need one. Here is what will make THE WORK NUMBER® a success.
- You may begin to use THE WORK NUMBER®immediately.
- Frequently remind employees of these new procedures through newsletter articles, new employee orientation, etc.
- When you receive an employment verification request, forward to payroll as is current procedure. Payroll will return the request to the verifier along with instructions on how to use THE WORK NUMBER®. Remember that the verification can be completed instantly with the proper codes, so you are not delaying the process by returning the request.
- If the verifier or the employee has any questions, or needs additional instructions on how to use the system, refer them to THE WORK NUMBER® client service center at 1-800-996-7566. The Client Service Center is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 8 p.m. Central time.
If you have questions about this system, please call THE WORK NUMBER® client service team at 800-996-7566. Please contact THE WORK NUMBER® regarding any employment or income verification issues prior to contacting the University of Iowa Payroll Office.