The University of Iowa and AFSCME Local 12
Labor Management Committee Meeting
January 21, 2011
Present: Andy Cooper, Bob Huber, Michelle Dixon, Dee Gansemer, Shannon Bartlett, David Bergeon, Josey Bathke.
Absent: Tim Cook, Todd Taylor
Guest: Keith Becker, Lyra Dickerson, Kyle Anson, Nancy Kroeze
Review Summary of November Meeting prepared by the Union
Hours Worked by 90% Employees at UIHC
Ninety- percent data will be sent out before the February agenda.
From: Grady, David L
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:38 PM
As context, the IMU has 2 construction projects—the Flood Mitigation and Permanent Recovery Project and the Remodeling and Deferred Maintenance Project. It is currently anticipated that the construction for the projects will occur concurrently. The construction will require parts of the building to be closed for construction for yet to be determined periods of time. As a result, many staff will be relocated to work locations inside and outside of the IMU. We are in the process of mapping out the moves with a guiding principle of minimizing the number of times staff has to relocate. There are still a great deal of unknowns, including but not limited to: (1) we are still waiting on FEMA funding obligation for the Flood Mitigation and Permanent Recovery project, so the exact time when construction will begin is unknown at this time; (2) the phasing of the construction is unknown; (3) the time to complete specific phasing, such as the kitchen, is unknown. Because of these unknowns, definitive answers cannot be provided at this time.
With that background, here are responses to the questions.
- when will construction start? For the reasons stated above, the exact schedule is not known at this time. We anticipate, and hope, it will be start in calendar 2012.
- how many people are going to Burge? The IMU kitchen is being renovated. As a result, it will be closed for the construction period. During that time, the kitchen operations will be relocated to other locations. Those locations and staffing of those locations have not been determined at this time. [What I don’t know here is if the question is related to the construction or to the unification of food services under University Housing & Dining. There may be some food service staff moving to Burge locations as a result of the unification. University Housing & Dining will need to address this question.]
- when are the IMU kitchens closing? It is unknown at this time when the IMU kitchen space will need to be unoccupied for construction.
- what’s happening to catering? During the construction, University Catering will still provide catering services in the IMU and on-campus.
- what is the project timeline? As stated earlier, the exact timeline for construction is not known at this time. It is hoped that construction will start in calendar 2012 and be completed in late calendar 2013 or early 2014. The project will be phased, so some areas may open before others.
We held 2 IMU Town Hall meetings on December 9th. We covered much of this information during those meetings. It was open to all staff. We plan to continue to communicate regularly with staff. When we have more solid information, we will be able to provide better information on specific dates.
Lyra Dickerson and Keith Becker presented new Veterans Preference application process and what documentation is necessary.
All NA/PA positions will now be posted on JOBS@UIOWA due to the new Veterans Preference application process.
Question was raised whether a 3rd party facilitator is needed to replace Jim Schepker. Josey checking into and will report back to the group.
Next meeting is scheduled for February 15, 2011.
Meeting adjourned at 4:02 p.m.