The University of Iowa and AFSCME Local 12
Labor Management Committee Meeting
July 21, 2009
Present: Present: Kevin Ward, Suzanne Hilleman, Shannon Bartlett, Tim Cook, Joe Marron, Deb Conger, Laurie Hathaway, Todd Taylor, Jim Schepker, John Stellmach, Cynthia Joyce (guest), and Judie Hermsen (guest)
Conflict Management Site:
- Cynthia Joyce, University Ombudsperson, highlighted resource materials on new conflict management website. These materials are intended to support conflict resolution and are available to all of the University community.
Early/Alternative Phased Retirements:
- Kevin Ward reported 395 individuals had applied to date, 342 for early retirement and 53 alternative/phased retirements. The vast majority are staff. He did not have information on approvals or the breakout of AFSCME employees. Another update will be provided at next month’s meeting.
- Judie Hermsen discussed pandemic planning and provided an update on the H1N1 virus. More cases are expected after schools resume.
Injuries and Investigations in Facilities Management:
- Suzanne Hilleman responded to questions about fewer work injury investigations. She noted that the model developed with AFSCME is still in place and has been very successful, but that other investigations are now focused on incidents causing injuries and “near miss” events. For example, in the most recent period of 30 first reports, 9 were investigated.
- Contract changes regarding grievance processing were noted.
- Regents will participate in GRIP for discipline/discharge grievances.
- Former Step 1; filing with the immediate supervisor has been eliminated. Grievances now start at department level.
Other Contract Changes:
- New Employee Orientation
- Attendance at the AFSCME presentation in new employee orientation is now required.
- Labor Management Committees
- Attendance at Labor Management Committee is now in pay status, regardless of work schedule. The committee agreed to change future meeting times to 2 – 3:30 pm to accommodate member schedule.