Level One - The Fruit and Vegetable Challenge
Level one is all about including more tasty and nutritious fruits and vegetables in your day. The recommended daily intake is five servings of fruits and/or vegetables. Your goal is to accomplish this at least three days each week. Check off “f/v” tokens at the top of your scorecard each day that you accomplish this. At the end of week 2, complete the self-care challenge, and then advance to Level 2.
Why Fruits & Veggies?
Eating fruits and vegetables provides health benefits — people who eat more vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy diet are likely to have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases.
- Eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits may reduce risk for heart disease, including heart attack and stroke, and may protect against certain types of cancers.
- Diets rich in foods containing fiber may reduce the risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
- Eating vegetables and fruits rich in potassium may lower blood pressure, and may also help to decrease bone loss.
- Eating foods that are lower in calories per cup instead of some other high-calorie food may be useful in helping to lower calorie intake.
Simple Tips to Get Your Started
- Buy fresh vegetables and fruits in season. They cost less and are likely to be at their peak flavor.
- Stock up on frozen vegetables for quick and easy cooking in the microwave.
- Buy packages of veggies such as baby carrots or celery sticks, or try pre-cut packages of fruit for quick snacks.
- Vary your veggie choices to keep meals interesting.
- Try crunchy vegetables, raw or lightly steamed.
- Keep a bowl of whole fruit on the table, counter, or refrigerate cut-up fruit to store for later.
- Buy fruits that are dried, frozen, and canned (in water or 100% juice) as well as fresh, so that you always have a supply on hand.
SELF CARE CHALLENGE #1
Congratulations! You have completed level 1. Before moving to the next level, make sure that you are prepared for common illnesses, injuries, and emergencies. Your self-care challenges is to RESTOCK YOUR HOME FIRST AID KIT.
Complete this Self-Care Challenge and move on to Level 2 on your score card.
Last updated September 2012