Faculty/Staff Recreation Membership Incentive
(Updated 12/7/11): House Staff and Postdoctoral Research Scholars are eligible for the Recreation Membership Incentive Program starting 1/1/12.
(Updated 6/28/12): Effective July 1, 2012, memberships will have a slight increase that will be reflected on August 1 paychecks. The faculty/staff recreation membership incentive will be adjusted and will remain 50%. New fees are now posted on Recreational Services website.
Membership Incentive is good for use at these facilities:
Recreational Services FEE STRUCTURE and FACILITY info can be found at http://recserv.uiowa.edu
In August 2010, the Recreation Membership Incentive Program was established on a pilot basis coinciding with the opening of the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center. To date, the pilot program has been extremely successful with approximately 2500 faculty and staff taking advantage of this opportunity. We are pleased to announce the continuation of the Recreation Membership Incentive Program through 2013.
- Active Faculty/Staff in a 50% or greater regular position
- House Staff and Postdoctoral Research Scholars are eligible starting 1/1/12
- Completed the Personal Health Assessment (PHA) one time annually (each calendar year or past 90 days). See FAQ section below or www.uiowa.edu/livewell for details about the PHA.
- Facility utilization of 4 times per month Note: There will be a one-month time lag on the incentive. (i.e. February visits will be used to determine the April 1 paycheck incentive, March visits will be used to determine the May 1 paycheck incentive, etc...).
- 50% incentive towards an annual single faculty/staff membership (Monthly membership = $320/year or $26.67/month; incentive = $13.33/month)*
- A family membership ($824 annually) may be purchased, but the incentive remains the same as for a single membership.
*Incentive amount subject to change based on membership rates.
Faculty/staff member initiates application process with Recreational Services for a membership. Memberships can be obtained at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, Field House, and the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
- Recreational Services requires a one-time $25 set-up fee. This fee is the sole responsibility of the faculty/staff member and not included in the annual membership and membership incentive
- Faculty/staff member must authorize monthly payroll deduction as the payment method.
Note: There will be a time lag at the beginning of the membership to allow for payroll deduction and reimbursement to be set up.
- First month - $25 set-up fee payroll deduction (responsibility of faculty/staff member)
- Second month and every month thereafter until membership is cancelled – payroll deduction for regular, monthly membership fee
- Third month and every month thereafter until membership is cancelled – incentive payment for membership fee at $13.33 per month (before tax). The incentive appears in the "Earnings" portion of your paycheck.
- There is a requirement to use the facilities a minimum of 4 times per month. This is measured each time your valid University ID is scanned at one of the membership desks. Note: There will be a one-month time lag on the incentive. (i.e. February visits will be used to determine the April 1 paycheck incentive, March visits will be used to determine the May 1 paycheck incentive, etc...).
Incentive Payment is considered Taxable Income and will be reflected on your monthly payroll statement.
To complete your Personal Health Assessment or to check on when you last completed it, go to the Employee Self Service website.
Questions about the incentive? Contact UI Wellness at 353-2973, or stop in the Wellness Services Area of the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, First Floor. (Frequently asked questions are listed below.)
Membership NOT REQUIRED for programs in the Wellness Services Area of the CRWC.
Why is The University providing this Benefit?
The University of Iowa is committed to a healthy campus culture for all UI community members. Physical Activity has many health benefits and helps to reduce health risks associated with inactivity.
Why is the University transitioning to a 4-time-per-month utilization requirement?
In 2012, in order to receive the monthly incentive, members are required to use a campus recreation facility at least four times per month. Administering the program on a month-to-month basis allows for participating employees to join the facility at any time and know exactly what their utilization requirements are (starting the next full month after they join), rather than meeting an annual requirement. Similarly, a penalty for not meeting the monthly requirement impacts only one month whereas not meeting an annual usage requirement would have a larger impact.
Who is eligible?
The membership incentive to University Recreation Facilities is for faculty and staff in a regular, half-time or greater position, including House Staff Postdoctoral Research Scholars. Eligible faculty and staff will be required to take the Personal Health Assessment one-time annually to qualify. Note: Postdoctoral Research Scholars do not have access to the PHA, so their only requirement is to visit the Recreation Facilities four or more times per month.
Can I get an incentive for a family membership?
Yes, the membership incentive will remain at 50% of a single membership and the remaining balance will be paid via a monthly payroll deduction.
I am a staff member, but am also enrolled as a student. How do I know if I need to purchase a membership or if it is included in my student fees?
If you are also enrolled as a University of Iowa student, please review your student fee coverage related to Recreation Services.
My spouse/partner works at The University, can we both get the membership incentive toward a family membership?
Yes, both of you should register for the membership incentive together and in person. You can either split the payroll deduction for the cost of the family membership evenly or one can choose the minimum of $310/year and the other can assume the rest of the family membership fee. The dependents/children will have to be assigned to just one of the members, not both.
Where do I go to sign up for my membership?
The Field House, Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, and the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center all have membership services areas for you to sign up.
Starting in February 2012, you will need to use the facilities 4 times per month to receive the monthly incentive on the next pay statement.
PERSONAL HEALTH ASSESSMENT (PHA)
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I take the PHA?
Access the PHA at the Employee Self Service website at https://hris.uiowa.edu.
How do I know the last time I took the PHA?
Log in to Self-Service and go to the Personal Health Assessment link. Click “Continue to the PHA” and then “Quality Health Survey.” Here, you will see the date of your last PHA and when you are eligible to take it again.
How often can I take the PHA?
You can take the PHA every 90 days. You receive incentive of up to $65 to take the PHA once per calendar year. To receive the membership incentive, you need to take the PHA within the calendar year that you are receiving the incentive or within the last 90 days.