Wellness Grants - Pilot Program
A monthly review process will occur. Please allow up to 30 days from receipt of application to receive news of funding requests.
The University actively supports and promotes a culture of health and well-being for all campus community members. Research shows that health behaviors are directly correlated to those of individuals that we spend a majority of our time. If a co-worker exhibits healthy behaviors, we are more likely to, as well. The built environment can influence our behaviors i.e. a well-marked stairwell generates more use (video). The intent of providing grant funds directly to departments for activities that promote physical and emotional health and well-being is to make practicing healthy habits in the workplace easier, which in turn supports a culture of health on campus.
The Wellness Grants are provided through UI Wellness, a unit of UI Human Resources, serving faculty and staff health promotion efforts.
- Funds are for work units seeking funding for health and wellness efforts in their specific work area, and all participants benefit equitably from the grant project.
- Requested funds may not exceed $10 per person.
- Maximum of $500 will be awarded one time annually for a request.
- First qualified are first served as funding is limited, and funding is based upon fiscal year. Only one wellness grant per applicant (work unit) will be awarded each fiscal year.
- Applications should be environmentally conscious and must promote physical and/or emotional well-being.
- Wellness Grant funds should directly impact participant’s health in a measurable way. Staff appreciation or morale-boosting efforts may be more applicable for the Staff Appreciation Grant Program.
- All employees in your unit have access to participation in the activity/program/event.
- All University regulations have been followed
- If a grant is awarded, a summary of your event may be highlighted at UI Wellness website
- Commitment by the unit to complete outcome evaluation of Wellness Grant
Within 30 days of completion of Wellness Grant project, applicant must provide:
- Participant list of those in attendance and/or those benefiting from the Wellness Grant project.
- Photo documentation of activity
- Any health-related, participation, or satisfaction outcomes
- 1-page summary report
- Identify how the program will be maintained over time, if applicable.
Generally, Wellness Grants will be awarded to applications that focus on top behavioral health risk areas for University of Iowa faculty and staff:
- Maintaining and achieving a healthy weight
- Physical Activity - Walking groups, Stretching breaks
- Nutrition - Packing a healthy lunch, Smart snacking, Reducing unhealthy options in the workplace
These are activities to consider using Wellness Grant funding for, but we welcome creative and original applications, as well:
- Take the Stairs (Environmental and Physical Wellness)
- Do you work in a building where the stairs are overlooked or forgotten? Follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s best practices guidelines along with your building’s policies for signage to highlight and promote stair use over elevator use. It is up to the applying individuals to work within building requirements, fire code, and any office administrative approvals needed (i.e. Building Coordinator, Department Director, etc...). http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/hwi/toolkits/stairwell/index.htm
- Walking Group/Pedometer Program* (Physical Activity and Weight Management)
- Work with a staff member from UI Wellness to purchase pedometers for participants and arrange for an educational session on using the pedometers, as well as setting up a group walking program for accountability and support.
- Healthy Lunch Packing / Lunch Bags*
- Work with a staff member from UI Wellness to purchase reusable lunch bags for participants and arrange for an educational session on packing a healthy and budget-friendly lunch.
*UI Wellness can assist with ordering of pedometers, exercise bands, and lunch bags and may have quantity in-stock for ‘purchase’ as a part of the Wellness Grants initiative. These items are $5.00 each.
** Any weight-loss type program proposal is required to have a UI Wellness staff member consult with them on program parameters and ‘rules.’ While weight loss challenges are very popular, it’s important that evidence-based and safe weight loss guidelines are used.
- Complete Wellness Grant Application Form (PDF)
- You will be contacted within 5-10 business days to discuss your application
- You will be notified within 30 calendar days if your application will be funded
- Applications are reviewed by a team of UI Wellness and Human Resources staff
- Suggestions or changes to application may be recommended
- Funds will be transferred to appropriate MFK
- Within 30 days of program implementation, documentation of event needs to be provided to email@example.com.
After utilizing wellness grant funding, complete and submit this brief evaluation along with itemized receipts and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page last updated July 2012