New UI Supervisors: Starting Successfully
Course # WNUSSS
What is unique about UI supervisory excellence, and how do effective leaders bring it out in others? What are some predictable supervisory challenges, and how do you respond? What is essential for you to know as you begin, or expand, your leadership and management responsibilities?
Regardless of previous supervisory experience, employees who are new to supervising at the UI are strongly encouraged to attend to receive essential information and practical tools for succeeding as a UI leader. Learn and/or reacquaint yourself with the resources, policies, and practices that will support getting the work done and engaging your team.
- Welcome and support new supervisors’ decision to be a leader at the University, advocating its mission to teach, conduct research and serve with excellence.
- Provide new supervisors with foundational information about their role in supervising University staff and assist with any specific transition needs they may have.
- Guide new supervisors’ orientation and development during your first year of their new role.
- Your role and responsibility in representing what it means to be a UI leader.
- UI policies that are here to support you in your role as a supervisor.
- Strategies and resources to support your transition, including your Leadership Development Plan.
Participants (audience course is aimed at):
Employees who are new to supervising at The University of Iowa.