Special Instructions for Teachers and Group Leaders
The Museum offers a vivid educational setting to support your course or class objectives. Many groups combine a visit to the Museum with a visit to the Old Capitol Museum next door. Our tour times are synchronized with the Old Capitol Museum to make the most efficient use of your time.
Bus groups may be discharged at the bus stop on Jefferson Street (along the north side of the building) or in the adjacent loading zone.
Buses may be parked in the loading zone on the south side of Jefferson Street, northeast of Macbride Hall. Drivers must remain with the vehicle as this is also a lane for fire trucks and other emergency vehicles. Otherwise, the bus may be left in UI Parking Lot #11 on the corner of Madison and Prentiss Streets or the Hancher Auditorium Parking Lot. Parking in these lots is free of charge.
School Group Guidelines
- Elementary and junior high or middle school students should be accompanied by at least one adult per 10-12 students. We recommend at least one adult per five students with preschool groups. Adults are responsible for their group's behavior, and groups will be asked to leave if Museum policies are not followed and/or the safety or enjoyment of other visitors is jeopardized.
- Large groups should break up into smaller units of no more than 25 for tours through Iowa Hall. Other members of the group may visit the Bird and Mammal galleries, the Biosphere Discovery Hub, or the Old Capitol Museum (with prior reservation).
- Please review museum manners with your class prior to arrival and plan to supervise your class during the visit. The Museum shares Macbride Hall with several University business offices and many professors and students. Please remind your class to be considerate as they walk through the building.
- If your students are completing worksheet assignments, have each bring a clipboard or notebook. Exhibits or glass should not be used as a writing surface.
- Please be on time for your tour, and perferrably a few minutes early. If you are late, your tour will be shortened to remain on schedule for tours that follow.
- Please remember that no food or drinks are allowed in the Museum galleries. If you plan to have lunch during your visit, you may eat out on the Pentacrest lawn when weather allows or you may utilize the Iowa Memorial Union common areas just down the hill from the Museum.
Spring Museum Visits
The March, April, and May tour reservations fill quickly each year. If you have a specific time or date preference, please contact us to make your reservations early.