2010 marked a turning point for The University of Iowa. Every year produces its share of original ideas and initiatives, but the past year stood out by just about any measure. We set new records, made notable strides in the face of historic challenges, and charted an ambitious yet pragmatic course for the years ahead.
This report provides a snapshot of the 2009-2010 academic and fiscal year, along with a preview of 2011. It offers a video overview, shares facts and figures, and highlights some of the people and programs who shape our University.
Among the year’s achievements:
- We recruited the largest first-year class in our history—a class that’s also among our most diverse and academically accomplished.
- We saw first-to-second year retention rates jump, practically reaching our five-year target in just a single year.
- We launched a five-year strategic plan that foregrounds student success, achievements in research and the arts, and opportunities for Iowans.
- We attracted an unprecedented $466 million in external research funding.
- We charted our overall economic impact on the state of Iowa at $6 billion per year—nearly $16 for every $1 in state funding.
- We weathered an economic downturn, making mid-year budget cuts that stayed true to our guiding principles and managing to avoid more drastic measures faced by other universities.
- We revitalized our campus with projects like the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, and reached milestones in our plans for new 21st century arts facilities.
These accomplishments and others like them rely on partnership, shared responsibility, and a profound sense of purpose. They depend on people throughout the University community—students, faculty and staff, alumni and friends, leaders—who embrace this moment as their own.
These individuals know they’re part of something bigger, that their work matters today and tomorrow. They’re connected to their predecessors by mission and tradition, and are determined to offer the generations who follow a chance to make their own mark.
Thanks to everyone who embodies The University of Iowa’s vision and values, and who played a part in this landmark year.
Sally Mason, President, The University of Iowa