Tour the Museum
Tours & Field Trips
- Old Capitol offers a one hour tour of the restored and rejuvenated building. A national
historic landmark located in the center of Iowa City, Old Capitol served as the first state capitol
from 1846-1857 and the University of Iowa's founding building. In 1976, Old Capitol became a museum
restored to the 1840s-1850s time period and dedicated to enlivening Iowa history for all.
- Tours are free during regular hours, but must be scheduled in advance.
- Tours are scheduled at 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30 (with additional tour times on Thursday evenings). Each tour block can accommodate up to 30 visitors.
- Download our tour information packet for our tour policies, guidelines, and parking information.
- For more information regarding Old Capitol tours or to schedule a tour, please call the Old Capitol Museum at 319-335-0548.
- University Faculty and Staff can sign up for special UI tours of the museum, which also provide information about resources available for University departments and individuals (including free rentals, class visits, exhibits, and more). To sign up, visit http://hris.uiowa.edu and click on "My Training."
- Take an onlline tour of Old Capitol here!