Purchasing Agent / Buyer
Purchasing agents, or buyers as they are sometimes called, are in charge
buying for the University. Their job is to balance
quality with cost to ensure that the best purchases are made. Buying an
item, material, or service whose quality is too high for its intended
use is a waste of University funds. Each buyer is assigned specific commodities
for which they help departments purchase goods and services.
Some Key job tasks/duties/responsibilities of purchasing agent
- Administer University's procurement
process including the evaluation and processing of requisitions and
issuing purchasing orders for a large group of commodities requiring
technical and product expertise resulting in major, complex, multi-year
- Develop written technical bid specifications for competitive Request
- Negotiate complex and campus wide contracts.
- Determines method of procurement, such as direct purchase
- Analyze vendor performance, negotiate and resolve disputes.
- Reviews bid proposals and negotiates contracts within budgetary limitations
and scope of authority.
- Knowledge of contract administration, researches and analyzes specific
commodities to maximize cost savings.