Rights and Responsibilities
- Equal access to academic courses offered by the University of Iowa
- Reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access
- Appropriate confidentiality of specific disability related information
- Timely receipt of documents in alternative formats, once appropriately requested
- Meet the University’s qualifications and essential technical, academic, and institutional standards
- Request accommodations through Student Disability Services (SDS) for each semester you wish to use accommodations
- Provide current documentation of your disability as required by specific documentation guidelines
- Pay for all costs associated with obtaining testing, reports, examinations etc. associated with documenting your disability
- Comply with all SDS and University policies and procedures, the University of Iowa Code of Student Life, attendance policies, and academic standards
The University’s Rights
- To identify and establish the essential components of academic classes and programs and to ensure that accommodations preserve these essential components.
- To evaluate students based on the established standards for each course
- To request, receive, evaluate and implement the current documentation needed to support a request for reasonable accommodations
- To select among equally effective and appropriate accommodations, adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids in consultation with students with disabilities
- To refuse to provide an accommodation, adjustment, and/or auxiliary aid that may pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others
- To determine the adequacy of documentation for establishing a disability, to deny requests for reasonable accommodations that the documentation does not support, and to deny accommodations to students who do not provide documentation of their disability, or whose requested accommodations are not reasonable
The University’s Responsibilities
- Ensure that academic courses and programs are accessible to students who have a documented disability unless the accommodation required would impose a fundamental alteration of a program or activity of the University of Iowa.
- In a reasonable manner, providing instructional materials in accessible formats for use by individuals with documented disabilities
- Maintaining appropriate confidentiality of records and communications regarding disability.