The University of Iowa Academic Advising Center
Home Page Current Students Prospective Students Faculty / Staff Parents Sitemap
Academic Support / Tutoring
Adding or Dropping a Class
Advising Forms
Contact your Advisor
Frequently Asked Questions
Majors at Iowa
University Resources
Student Parents

Things to Know About Dropping


How is dropping different from withdrawing?

  • Dropping means to process a drop slip for one or more, but not all, of your courses for the semester.
  • Get the signatures of your adviser and of the instructor of each course.
  • Turn the signed drop slip in at the Registration Center by the published deadline.
  • The drop deadline is on the Registrar’s web page and on your ISIS Enrollment Summary.

What does withdrawing mean?

  • Withdrawing means to go to the Registrar's Service Center in 17 Calvin Hall and file a request to withdraw your entire registration for the semester.
  • The deadline to withdraw your registration is usually two weeks later than the deadline to drop individual semester length courses.
  • You may not continue to live in the residence halls after you have withdrawn your registration.
  • If you withdraw your entire registration, your transcript will not list the individual courses you were enrolled in for the semester.  You will not receive W’s for these courses.

When do I get a W and what does that mean?

  • If you drop after the end of the second week of class, the course appears on your transcript with a mark of W. This mark indicates that you withdrew from the class after the initial drop deadline but before you earned a final grade in the class.
  • A mark is not a grade and that means W's are not included in the calculations of your GPA. .
  • If you withdraw your entire registration, your transcript will not list the individual courses you were enrolled in for the semester.  You will not receive W’s for these courses.

Will dropping affect my tuition?

  • Dropping or withdrawing can usually affect your tuition only if you do it in the first two weeks of a fall or spring semester.
  • If you drop below full time and do so before the end of the second week of the semester, you will be charged only for the hours you are registered for after that deadline.
  • Dropping after the end of the second week of a regular semester or dropping if you still end up with 12 sh does not affect tuition.
  • If you withdraw your entire registration before the end of the second week of classes, tuition charges will be on a sliding scale determined by the date when you withdraw.
  • After the end of the third week of class, full tuition is charged.
  • See the Deadline Dates list on your ISIS Enrollment Summary for specific dates for each semester.
  • Check ISIS for deadlines that affect tuition for courses or sessions that last less than the length of a full spring or fall semester. 

What is full time status?

  • Full time status is 12 sh for undergraduates during the fall and spring semesters.

Consult the Financial Aid office about full time status for any other session.

What kinds of problems might occur with dropping below full time
status during a fall or spring semester?

  • Health or car insurance. Many insurance companies require that you be a full time student if you are to continue to be covered under your family’s insurance policies after you graduate from high school.
  • Sometimes insurance coverage over the summer depends on your being registered full time for both the preceding spring semester and the coming fall semester.
  • Ask your insurance company or have your family ask their company benefits office about the conditions of your insurance coverage.
  • If you think that there will be a problem dropping to part time status, talk with your academic adviser about your options.
  • Financial aid/Scholarships  If you have financial aid, a scholarship, or a loan, find out how dropping to part time status would affect them.  Regulations are varied and complex, so visit the Student Financial Aid Office in 208 Calvin Hall for more information about your specific situation.
  • Greek eligibility may be jeopardized if you drop below full time status.  If you are a member of a Greek organization, check with your house about how dropping below full time might affect you.
  • Athletic eligibility may be jeopardized if you drop below full time status.  If you are an intercollegiate athlete, you must discuss your plans to drop or add with your Athletic Counselor.  If you are not sure who that is, call 335-9384 to find out.  You will need his/her signature on your drop/add slip to process it. 
  • Income tax  If your parents claim you as a dependent on their income tax return, you must be a full time student for some part of each of five months during a calendar year.  Consult the IRS for further details.
  • Residence halls  You may live in the residence halls even if you are not a full time student, provided you remain registered for at least one semester hour.

How could I avoid dropping a class? 

  • Using your instructor’s office hours, help labs, review sessions, and tutors could help you raise your grade in the course.
  • Talk with your adviser for other ideas.
  • See what help is available; check out tutoring.
  • If extenuating circumstances have kept you from completing the work in the course by the deadline, see your instructor to discuss the possibility of taking an incomplete.
  • Talk with your academic adviser to see what kind of documentation of your circumstances you might need to offer your instructor and what an incomplete means.
  • Using a Second Grade Only option might be an alternative to dropping.
  • Discuss the pros and cons of this option with your academic adviser.



Back to top