Major Richard R. (Randy) Larson
Major Randy Larson is an assistant professor of aerospace studies (APAS), Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) Detachment 255 located at The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. He assumed his current duty in June 2008.
Prior to coming to Det 255 Major Larson was the Executive Officer to the 421st Air Base Group Commander, United State Air Forces Europe, RAF Menwith Hill, United Kingdom. Major Larson also served as the Mission Support Flight Chief.
Major Larsonís career started as an enlisted Personnel Specialist in May of 1988. He has also been a Protocol NCO for both the 438th Airlift wing and 21st Air Force. Furthermore he has worked at the Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC) where he was in the first call center and was the NCOIC of Air Force Dress and Appearance. The highlight of his assignment was being named the NCOIC of the Year for AFPC. Major Larson then served in a Joint Command at NAS Keflavik, Iceland where he was on the Admirals staff in the Iceland Defense Force. In his last enlisted assignment Major Larson went to Grand Forks AFB, ND where he worked at the Military Personnel Flight and Security Forces Squadron. After OTS he was assigned to MacDill AFB, FL where he worked in the Military Personnel Flight and the Security Forces Squadron. He was responsible for the security for three separate CORONAís and numerous POTUS visits to MacDill. He was named the Unit Level Personnel Manager of the Year for AMC. From there Major Larson was assigned to RAF Menwith Hill, United Kingdom.
Major Larson graduated from Valparaiso High School, Valparaiso, Indiana in 1985. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in 2001 from University of Maryland, Adelphi, Maryland and a Master of Business Administration degree from Touro University International, Cypress, California in 2008.
Major Larson was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in 2002 through Officer Training School program at Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
- 2001 Bachelor of Science, Sociology, Univ of Maryland, Adelphi, MD
- 2002 Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB AL
- 2002 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB AL
- 2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB AL
- 2008 Master of Business Administration, Touro University International, Cypress, CA
- Aug 1988 - Feb 1994, Personnel Manger/Protocol Specialist, McGuire AFB, NJ
- Feb 1994 - Feb 1999, Call Center Rep/NCOIC, AF Dress & Appearance, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, TX.
- Feb 1999 - Feb 2001, Iceland Defense Force, Army/Air Force Personnel Tech, NAS Keflavik, Iceland
- Feb 2001 - Nov 2001, NCOIC, Formal Training/NCOIC, SFS Commanders Support Staff, Grand Forks AFB, ND
- Oct 1992 - Feb 2005, 6 Security Forces Squadron, Section Commander, MacDill AFB, FL
- Feb 2005 - June 2008, 421st Air Base Group, Executive Officer/Commander, Misson Support Flight, RAF Menwith Hill, United Kingdom
- June 2008 - present, Commandant of Cadets, AFROTC Detachment 255, University of Iowa, Iowa City IA.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
- Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal (4 OLCs)
- Air Force Achievement Medal (3 OLCs)
- Joint Meritorious Unit Award
- Air Force Organizational Excellence Award (2 OLCs)
- Air Force Good Conduct Medal (4 OLCs)
- National Defense Service Medal (w/device)
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
- Major - 1 Feb 2012
- Captain - 1 Mar 2006
- First Lieutennant - 1 Mar 2004
- Second Lieutennant - 1 Mar 2002
- Staff Sgt - 1 Dec 1996
- Senior Airman - 23 May 1991
- Airman 1st Class - 23 Mar 1989
- Airman - 23 May 1988