WATER POLLUTION OBJECTIVES
1) How is "water pollution" defined?
2) What are the types of contaminants involved in water pollution?
3) Know what an MCL is and how it is determined, and know what a secondary MCL is.
4) What is the most severe water pollution problem in Iowa, and what environmental and health problems can it cause?
5) What recent event in Iowa caused an increased level of pollutants to enter the Iowa River/Coralville Reservoir, and what are the major sources of this pollution?
6) What type of pollutant is in the groundwater below Coralville and who is responsible for it being there, and what is being done to clean it up?
7) Know the difference between point source and non-point source pollution and give examples of each.
8) What resource values do surface waters provide?
9) What are the major classifications of surface water ecosystems?
10) Besides water itself, what are the three essential ingredients for an aquatic ecosystem?
11) What are the main differences between the limnetic, metalimnion, and hypolimnion zones of a lake in terms of its abiotic factors?
12) Know how the photic/euphotic zone is defined and what controls its depth.
13) Know the definition of and the influences of DO and BOD and what level they tend to take on in polluted waters.
14) Know how the relative levels of DO and BOD respond downstream from a pollution source. Also know the name of the unpolluted water upstream from a point source of pollution, and the name of the three zones downstream from the pollution source. How might you be able to tell which zone you are in?
15) Be able to describe an oligotrophic and eutrophic body of water and how an oligotrophic becomes eutrophic.
16) What can be done to reduce eutrophic conditions?
17) What type of water pollution causes the most stream pollution in the U.S. and what is the major source of this pollution type?
18) What are the most common forms of ocean pollution?
19) What is the “Dead Zone” and where is it located?
20) What is the largest source of groundwater contamination in the U.S.?
21) Know the difference between a DNAPL and an LNAPL, which one is more mobile, and which one is harder to clean up.