- Meeting Dates
- Announcements and Events
- Meeting Minutes
- CDA Mission & Bylaws
- Contact Us
- Hawkeye Access Pride - Recoginition Program
Meeting Notes - February 18, 2009
Present:Keith Ruff, Scott R. Gill, Mark Harris, Carolyn Barrientes, Amy Kearns Larsen, Peter Gerhard, Tony Ramos, Jan Gorman
A large welcome was extended to the many new people at the meeting. CDA continues to expand and we welcome this increased representation of the community and students. Please note the new email addresses in this email and add these names/addresses to the CDA roster.
January Meeting Follow up Actions:
- January 15, 2009 minutes were approved as written.
- Meeting date, time and frequency: The group decided to move the meetings to over the lunch hour, move the location to the IMU with the River Room the room preference. Meetings will stay the 3rd meeting of the month with an exception in March which will be the 4th Thursday addressing the conflict with spring break. Jan will set this up and send a schedule of dates, times and location to all CDA members. Members also decided to meet during the academic year in the months of September, October, November, February, March and April. Additional meetings will be scheduled according to event/project need.
- CDA Officers: New officers taking office effective March 2009 are: David Fitzgerald and Peter Gerhard: Co-Chairs, Mark Harris: Secretary, Mike Venzon-Treasurer. Members expressed their appreciation for the volunteer effort from these four individuals.
- CDE’s umbrella coverage of disability: Marcella David (2/9/2009) responded to David Fitzgerald’s 1/29/2009 letter in the affirmative. Yes, disability is included under the CDE service umbrella and Marcella further requested CDE staff take advantage of every opportunity to promote broader sensitivity for different dimensions of diversity, even in targeted presentations. Members discussed their appreciation of this recognition. Future strategy: the group felt that future protocols should direct questions to the director of the specific department versus the larger organization.
- Increased membership drive: The group is very pleased with the interest identified in this meeting by the presence of many new people. CDA needs to continue the effort of increasing meeting attendance. John Mikelson had mentioned taking to student vets, Keith and Scott will consider additional community participation, Jan will talk with some employees, and Tony and Mark will talk with students. All other members are encouraged to promote CDA efforts and invite interested people to join the group.
- Year’s focus: Finalization of mapping the themes for this next fiscal year will occur at the March meeting. Group members will refer back to emails from Len and Steve for context.
- Spring presentation: Mr. Andy Imparato, CEO American Association of People with Disabilities has been approached by Tiffini to work with/present at the U. Mr. Imparato presented at an employment law conference attended by Jan. He and his organization were very involved in the efforts behind the writing of the ADAAA. Presentation/discussion topics/areas: attitudes and environment. Possible half day with keynote and breakout sessions. Peter reminded the group of past conferences offered by CDA-using the ballroom and small rooms for breakout sessions. Follow up planning will continue in March. The group needs Tiffini’s perspectives from her conversation with Mr. Imparato.