- Meeting Dates
- Announcements and Events
- Meeting Minutes
- CDA Mission & Bylaws
- Contact Us
- Hawkeye Access Pride - Recoginition Program
CDA Monthly Meeting Minutes
Thursday, March 222013
Room UCC-2520B, 12 noon-1 pm
- Closed Captioning – Discussion was held concerning the need for policy regarding captioning of on campus videos. Univ. of WI Madison & Penn State has a captioning policy. Information on the Jan. 15th court case of Argenyi v. Creighton University was provided with the agenda. Consideration would need to be given to available resources when establishing captioning policy. Caption training and captioning software was discussed. There has been a group assembled within the UI to revise current disability policy. Carly & Teresa will draft a letter of awareness and support for captioning for review. If CDA members notice UI videos that are not currently captioned, it was suggested that they bring it to the attention of the sponsoring Department. Carly Armour at SDS is a resource for “How to Caption Videos” training.
- Hearing Loops – The first UI permanent hearing loop installation occurred on campus last week in an 84 seat classroom located within the Medical Laboratories building. Brian provided a brief review of what hearing loop technology consists of. It was decided to recognize Jim Henderson (Assistant Dean at the College of Medicine) for his efforts through the CDA Iowa Hawkeye Access Pride recognition program. Brian will draft the recognition letter. The CDA would like to bring additional awareness to this assistive listening technology by sending a letter to other venues and units across campus such as CHA, Bijou Theatre, and the Learning Spaces Advisory Committee. Brian will draft the letter.
- New CDO Website – CDO’s new website offers a listing of Diversity Events. Event listings must first be submitted to the UI Master Calendar under Diversity Events. The CDO site pulls those listings into their website. Non-UI events can be submitted to email@example.com for inclusion on the CDO website. Phase two of the CDO website will include the development of a campus disability resources page.
- Universal Design at the University of Iowa Brochure – This very recently published brochure stars two CDA members; Teresa Kout and Mike Hoenig. Brochures were provided for those in attendance and additional copies of the brochure are available by contacting Brian.
- Other Topics
- SportAbility of Iowa has several upcoming events. The SportAbility Iowa newsletter is sent to the CDA Listserv each month.
- The Iowa City NAMIWalk will be held April 27th.
- Jan Gorman provided a brief update on efforts to reorganize the Johnson County Mental Health & Disability Services under a larger umbrella.
- Erin Field with St. Ambrose University seeking internship at UI provided an update of community and proposed certain UI events connected with mental health awareness and activities. Mike Hoenig invited her to attend the CDA meeting and she plans to join us in the future.