Welcome to Council on Disability Awareness
Meeting Notes - March 15, 2012
Present: Helen Jameson, Carly Armour, Shelli Meyer, Mark Harris, David Fitzgerald, Bob Harding, Rachel Gatewood, Jan Gorman, Peter Gerhard, Kris Smith, Chris Peterson, Teresa Kout, Boyd Knosp, Tiffini Stevenson-Earl, Pam
Call to order
Carly Armour, Chair called meeting to order at 12pm.
- New Officer Positions for 2012-2013
- Mike Hoenig was nominated as Co-Chair
- Possibly new secretary will be needed
- Will need a Treasurer
- Nominations may be sent to email@example.com
- Vote will be held in April
- All current diversity councils will no longer be recognized by the CDO nor any other department of UI
- A reason given was due to liability issues for the UI
- CDA is only council that has a population that does not have a cultural center such as LGBTQ-RC, African-American Cultural Center, and WRAC
- Discussed the mission and direction CDA is going taking now and in the future.
- Members will review mission and bylaws to discuss at next month's meeting
- Building input: Brian is still sorting things out within Facilities Management on the prospect of him presenting proposed new facility design information relative to access.
- Occupational Therapy has a “Wheelchair Day” - Can CDA partner with them for this?
- Mental Illness Awareness Month is October 2012
- Members agree to do T-Shirt Campaign again
- Find out the way UIHC presents available resources to new employees.
- Show disability-related films
- Find Co-Sponsors
- Meet with Bijou
- See if Disability Studies have films as a part of their curriculum
- Eli Clare- Multi-Cultural Speaker – http://eliclare.com/
Thursday, April 5th
- “At the Intersections of Queerness & Disability” speaking engagement on 2pm-4pm. Located at the Iowa City Public Library, Room A.
- “Gawking, Gaping, Staring” speaking engagement on Thursday, April 5th from 7pm-9pm- reception after. Located at the UI Old Capitol Senate.
- UI Walk It Out Multicultural Fashion Show: April 7th, 2012 at 6:30pm to 10:30pm at the IMU Main Lounge, Free Admission.
- Bill Sackter Day with film and panel– School of Social Work – April 13th, 2012
- MultiCultural Graduation and Recognition Banquet- May 2012
Meeting adjourned at 1:00 pm by Carly.
The next meeting will be Thursday, March 15th at 12pm, Location: 2520, UCC)
Minutes submitted by: Shelli Meyer, Secretary
Approved & Modified by: Carly Armour, Co-Chair