Welcome to Council on Disability Awareness
Meeting Notes - March 18, 2010
Present: Peter Gerhard, David Fitzgerald, Carly Armour, Jan Gorman, Cristi Burrell, Laura Schwab, John Mikelson, Keith Ruff, Scott Gill, Shams Ghoneim, Shelli Meyer
Call to order
Peter Gerhard, Co-Chair called meeting to order at 12pm.
Monthly Advocacy Show - Channel 18
- Focused on CDA Writing Contest from January 2010
- Keith Ruff and Scott Gill facilitated
- Carly was interviewed about CDA
- Watched some of the winners read their pieces
- Positive feedback given for the production
Sarah Entine –Director of documentary “Read Me Differently”
- Event will take place Tuesday, April 6th at 4pm at the IMU Bijou Theater
- DVD captioning is being paid by Sarah Entine. Caution: Captioning covers the visual introductory readings of each speaker on film. Will alert Sarah Entine.
- No refreshments will be served
- Bijou staff will show how to use podium, etc
- Discussed publicity and marketing for the event
- Posters, Facebook, Noon News, FYI, email distributions, Kirkwood is announcing in class, locating bulletin boards
Electronic flyers are accessible and JAWS compatible
Comedian Event - Sponsored by DPAC
- Comedian David Roche will perform Thursday, April 22nd at 7pm in the Pomerantz Auditorium Room C20
- Parking available at College of Business and North Ramp
- Publicity and marketing will be by email and free radio
- DPAC (Disability Action & Planning Committee) had agreed to fund the event, Jan Gorman is following up
Comedian for Fall 2010
- Laura Schwab will be attempting to enter Pepsi Link website to secure a grant for the cost of a possible comedian of $15K
Fall 2010 Writing contest?
- May have certain disability awareness contest such as art or writing yearly or every other year
Town Gown Conference
- March 23-24, 2010
- Addressing media about how to communicate with civil attitude
- Lunch 3/23/10, registration is free on NAMI website
- Kirk Ferentz guest speaker
- Discussed ACLU Iowa- is mental health considered a disability?
- Does CDA need to speak out about stigma of mentally ill?
- Has there ever been a mental health impairment event?
- Mental Health Awareness week is October 3-9, 2010
- Possibly Susan Rothman Award, very spirited person involved with CDA
- Possibly create the Bill & Mara Schneider Award?
Meeting adjourned at 1:17pm by Peter. The next meeting will be Thursday, April 15th at 12pm in River Room 1 IMU.
Minutes submitted by: Shelli Meyer
Approved by: Mark Harris