- Meeting Dates
- Announcements and Events
- Meeting Minutes
- CDA Mission & Bylaws
- Contact Us
- Hawkeye Access Pride - Recoginition Program
CDA Monthly Meeting Minutes
Thursday, March 222013
Room UCC-2520B, 12 noon-1 pm
In Attendance: Carly Armour, Co-Chair, Teresa Kout, Co-Chair, Kathy Ford, Public Relations Coordinator, Brian Manternach, Jan Gorman, Mark Harris, Mike Hoenig, Bob Harding, John Mikelson, Jim Friel
- “Accessibility on Campus” map – Brian Manternach provided a visual presentation of the “Accessibility on Campus” map. Currently in production, the map is not widely available. This map will show general accessibility on the UI campus, particularly building entrances, pathways through buildings, Cambus locations, accessible parking, etc. It will also show detail of location of stairs that may impede accessibility and the grade of paths and sidewalks. At the current time, only general education buildings are listed (not housing, athletics, UIHC). Facilities management is hoping to market this format to include other UI entities, that the department (i.e., Athletics) will provide initial information and ongoing updates.
When asked how CDA could assist Facilities Management in this endeavor, Brian did not have immediate needs. He is hopeful this will be seen as a positive addition to information for students (current and potential), staff, faculty and others. If resistance is met as they move forward with addition of other entities, perhaps CDA could assist at that time.
Mike Hoenig questioned how this material would/could be made available to those with sensory disabilities and offered to give input from the viewpoint of a non-sited person.
Brian will make the link available to CDA members. He requests any questions, feedback and/or suggestions be directed to him.
- Deaf Volleyball UI Team – Carly Armour volunteers to coach a deaf volleyball UI team in the spring and will participate in a tournament in Chicago mid-April. The ASL Club contributes for the hotel expenses for students. Carly asked for CDA to contribute $75 for the registration fee. After some discussion, John Mikelson made a motion to pay the $75 registration fee to co-sponsor with ASL. Mike Hoenig seconded and all in attendance agreed.
- Roundtable - Events and Announcements
- Bob Harding shared March is Brain injury Month and Joggin’ for your Noggin’ 5K Run on April 13
- Jan Gorman introduced Jim Friel who joined FSDS as a Senior Human Resources Specialist
- John Mikelson attended the NSPA Conference and received a flash drive with national disability links. Carly will add any pertinent links to the CDA website. John also shared he is leaving UI on May 31 and will keep CDA update on this next adventure.
- Brian Manternach mentioned Iowa Now will publish a story on the Hearing Loops on campus
- Mike Hoenig attended a Disability Awareness PT event at the Children’s Museum (suggested CDA involvement next year). He also discussed an audio descriptive service available at movie theatres in the Quad Cities area. UI will send a group to investigate this technology and the feasibility of using this here (i.e., Hancher). Mike is planning to present a workshop at the Lions District Convention. He is continues to assist in the Mental Health First Aid training.
- Brian, Carly, and Mike provided information on the Diversity Ambassadors Furniture Open House. This focuses on access and barriers.
- Kathy Ford announced March is Multiple Sclerosis Month (also wearing her “MS is BS” pin in support). She served on the committee for the MS Awareness, Little Black Dress, Event; attended an MS Women’s Conference (with Teresa); and gave dates for the Walk MS in Cedar Rapids on May 18 and Bike MS on June 22-23