- Meeting Dates
- Announcements and Events
- Meeting Minutes
- CDA Mission & Bylaws
- Contact Us
- Hawkeye Access Pride - Recoginition Program
Meeting Notes - April 16, 2009
Present: Carly Armour, David Fitzgerald, Peter Gerhard, Shams Ghoneim, Scott Gill, Jan Gorman, Lesley Irizarry, Steve Kuusisto, John Mikelson, Keith Ruff, Mike Venzon.
Guests: Nyle Dessen, Della McGrath
- Mapping goals for next year, outreach, cooperation with other organizations: The group discussed which activities to pursue next and several ideas were generated (poster contest, poetry contest, movie/documentary showing, inviting a theater troupe to campus, doing something in conjunction with the Summer ADA celebration). The idea that was decided on to pursue next is to sponsor a disability related writing contest with a ceremony to be held next October during Disability Awareness Month. This event will hopefully also be a “kick-off” for a planned future Disability and Writing summer workshop. It was suggested that Steve Kuusisto might be able to suggest parameters and find other English professors or graduate students to help judge entries.
- An update on the Disability Studies Certificate was provided. There has been a meeting involving Doug Baynton from the History Department as well as a meeting with Barbara Eckstein from the Office of the Provost. UI will need more courses related to the culture of disability to move forward as many of our current course offerings focus on rehabilitation.
- The website was also discussed. David Fitzgerald indicated that he could continue to be involved in some capacity, but would like assistance. Carly Armour offered to help move things forward.
- NAMI-Johnson County provided an overview of their group and information regarding the upcoming walk which serves as their main fundraiser.
- The group was reminded that the next scheduled meeting is the last one of the academic year. This meeting will occur May 21st.