Welcome to Council on Disability Awareness
Meeting Notes - June 17, 2010
Present: David Fitzgerald, Carly Armour, Mike Hoenig, Jan Gorman, Laura Schwab, Mark Harris, Keith Ruff, Shams Ghoneim, Mike Venzon, Tiffini Stevenson-Earl, Shelli Meyer, David McCartney
Call to order
David Fitzgerald, Co-Chair called meeting to order at 12:00pm and introductions were made.
- David McCartney, University Archivist
- The UI Archives suggested CDA send items to archive and collaborate on an oral history project to document the people of the community.
- Archives previously partnered with the local community for an oral history archive/documentary around 1992 of local people with a disability. It was turned into a play “With others of their own kind”.
- Another person interested in CDA history and possible collaborator is Douglas-Baynton@uiowa.edu, Associate Professor in the History Dept. & Dept. of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Office: 310 Schaeffer Hall Ph: 335-2295
- A 2 hour interview transcribed can cost $800-$1000.
- Carly & Mike will get the CDA history box from David Fitzgerald and will review the items to send to archive.
- Archive Rules
- Nothing leaves the Archives.
- It is possible to scan items and use it as long it is preserved/no damage is done, and the copyright is not infringed upon.
- If copyright is a concern it is the persons responsibility to get permission.
- List was distributed for review and everyone agreed to be on the list.
- Carly will have it ready in 1-2 weeks.
- UI has speaker bureau, does CDA want to link to it?
- Time 12pm-5pm on 7/24 at the Ped Mall downtown Iowa City.
- 1pm Chief Diversity Officer, Georgina Dodge will speak and kick off the celebration.
- Senator Tom Harkin will speak at some time during the event.
- There will be music, food and fun for everyone.
- Restaurants will offer 20% off while Senator Harkin is attending.
- Mike and Carly will design a brochure to possibly hand out at the event.
- Tiffini Stevenson Earl is organizing the resource link on the UI Homepage, now titled “Campus Accessiblity”
- The name of the page will possibly be changed.
- CDA would like there to be a contact person and/or a direct link to at contact person.
- CDA wants to know what links are actually accessible for those with disabilities.
- Chief Diversity Office announced Georgina Dodge has been appointed the CDO
- CDA will prepare materials on the history of CDA and invite her to attend a CDA meeting, Shelli will assist in scheduling her visit
- A true story of his life as a fighter for the rights of others with disabilities, especially vocational improvements (he himself has a hearing loss).
- There is concern the movie may not be captioned.
- Possible locations to view:
- Access to Independence
- UI Library
- Free music
Writing Contest Youth Prose Winner
- Winner has been found and payment for award has been processed.
Meeting adjourned at 1:22pm by David Fitzgerald.
The next meeting will be Thursday, July 15th at 12pm Room C330 Pomerantz Center.
Minutes submitted by: Shelli Meyer
Approved by: Mark Harris, Secretary