CDA Monthly Meeting Minutes
Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013
Room UCC-2520B, 12 noon-1 pm
- Present were Mark H, Bob H, Carly A, Kathy F, Peter G, Brian M, Jan G, Tiffini SE. Also present was John Paul Horn who will be representing Access 2 Independence.
- JP Horne’s email address is email@example.com. Access 2 Independence is now located at 1556 S. First Ave in Iowa City near Eastdale Plaza.
- Facilities Progress – Brian mentioned the significant progress that has been made towards improving physical access on campus over the summer. If anyone has ideas on how to build upon this progress, he would be interested in hearing them.
- Hawkeye Accessibility Recognition Program – It was agreed that this should be an agenda item for all future CDA meetings to remind members of the program and to encourage nominations.
- October Disability Awareness Month
- T-shirts will be available. For those wishing to order one, a $10 - $15 dollar donation is suggested. Carly passed around an order form.
- Registration for the Iowa Regents “Disability Awareness Summit” will be available soon. Save the Date notices have already been sent out. This event is being held in concurrence with the annual UI Disability Celebration. Additional information including a draft agenda for the day is available at disability.uiowa.edu/summit. Space for the event will be limited and RSVP will be required. The deadline for nominations for the Above & Beyond award is Sept. 18th.
- Mike Hoenig will be the featured speaker at the Diversity Council Lunch & Learn meeting on Oct. 31st.
- Carly is researching movies that she will suggest to the CAB group for showing.
- Kathy is working on and asked for ideas of information to be used in an Iowa Now article.
- Other Discussion Items
- Carly reported student excitement and interest in being active with the Student Disability Org (SDO) and Hawkeye Accessibility Ambassador program this year.
- IMU will receive restroom upgrades on ground and 1st floor with the upcoming flood mitigation and recovery projects.
- The UI disability webpage is now active. Suggestions on improvements should be sent to Tiffini. http://disability.uiowa.edu/