- Meeting Dates
- Announcements and Events
- Meeting Minutes
- CDA Mission & Bylaws
- Contact Us
- Hawkeye Access Pride - Recoginition Program
Welcome to Council on Disability Awareness
Meeting Notes - Sept. 16, 2010
Present: Carly Armour, David Fitzgerald, Mark Harris, Jan Gorman, Mike Hoenig, Tiffini Stevenson Earl, Shelli Meyer, Peter Gerhard, Helen Jameson
Call to order
Helen Jameson & Carly Armour, Co-Chairs called meeting to order at 12:00pm.
- Disabled Rowing Program “Adaptive Rowing”
- Jane Gressang , Supervisor (Administrative Services) and LlynAnn Luellen , Rowing Coordinator (Recreational Services) visited to speak on a program called the Disabled Rowing Program “Adaptive Rowing”.
- The program so far has been able to assist people with all disabilities to learn to row. So far they have assisted people who are quadriplegic, blind, etc; they are willing to try and create a way to fit any disability. The only “requirement” is they must be age 13+ simply because of the size of the boats.
- Most will practice two days and then row with everyone else.
- CDA suggested they prepare hand-outs for departments, etc. to pass out and to contact Keith and Scott at Access to Independence to get information out to the public.
- Video on You Tube about Adaptive Rowing Partners from Louisville Kentucky: http://video.filestube.com/watch,3bea229e356ac72b03ea/Adaptive-Rowing-Partners.html
- There is no longer automatic funding.
- ALL purchases and events MUST be pre-approved before purchasing any items.
- A purchase must show an academic impact, information on how it will be evaluated and a final report to the CDO office.
- No partnering will be allowed outside of the University of Iowa.
- Kim Carter in CDO will assist with basic website design.
- The Council Chairs/Presidents and CDO will meet 2 times in a semester.
- CDA wants to get requests in ASAP to avoid not having funding for something towards the end Fiscal Year (June 2011)
- Creation of a CDA Calendar of the year with events was discussed.
- $300 for the film “See What I’m Saying”.
- Film would show one week at the Bijou with one day as a community event.
- IMU CAB approached CDA for $$ support for a comedian appearance in April or May 2011.
- A possible Green Room Reception contest was mentioned.
- Announce this Fall with a deadline of January 2011 and the ceremony in late March.
- Possibly add to the Prize a time with in a Writers Workshop instead of money?
- Carly will contact previous judges.
- Karen Wachsmuth from International Programs Outreach spoke about the event titled “The Right to Well Being” on November 16th from 9am-3pm being held at the Marriot in Coralville where 300 Jr. High Students from across Iowa will attend
- There will be two 50 minute sessions from 10am-12pm with speakers and she wanted CDA to suggest some people to speak.
- Suggestions were: Miracles in Motion contact, Sign Language, a Rock Climber in the community, someone from the Vets Hospital.
- Speaker is Stephan Hamlin-Smith, Executive Director from the Association on Higher Education and Disability.
- Guests from Iowa State University and University of Northern Iowa will attend.
- The UI recently requested all employees to fill out this in Self Service, if you choose not to a designated person in your department will answer the questions to the best of their ability and fill it in for you.
- Questions should be directed to Jennifer Modestou in the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Meeting adjourned at 1:30pm by Helen and Carly.
The next meeting will be Thursday, October 21st at 12pm Room 2520C at UCC
Minutes submitted by: Shelli Meyer, Secretary
Approved by: Carly Armour